Carlos Quintero/ Unsplash
Carlos Quintero/ Unsplash

Jacqueline Wilson 10 years later

Jacqueline Wilson was a fixture in the lives of most young girls in the UK. Although her novels follow a similar template of strong-minded young girls facing hardship, she has created a whole range of characters that are easy to relate to. It’s a simple and foolproof formula, which is where Wilson’s appeal lies. According to a Buzzfeed Quiz, if I were to be a Jacqueline Wilson character, I would be Charlotte from The Lottie Project. As usual, Buzzfeed isn’t wrong. Charlotte is a nerd like me, obsessive, opinionated and with an overactive mind. Jacqueline Wilson and Nick Sharatt’s signature illustrations are, in my mind, the essence of myself as a bookish kid.

It is therefore no surprise when Marie Senechal’s tweet, “I wish Jacqueline Wilson did adult sequels to her books, like how’s Ellie, Magda & Nadine doing? Are they still under pressure? Or out late??” completely blew up, attracting responses from Jacqueline Wilson and Nick Sharatt themselves. The humorous post has been thought-provoking and nostalgic for many, causing outrageous possibilities to cascade from some Twitter users, with one writing, “I heard the twins from Double Act have a coke problem”.

We’ve seen Tracy Beaker grow up through the TV series Tracy Beaker Returns, but what about the others? There are too many brilliant characters to choose from, but let’s take a look at what five of them might be up to ten years down the line.

Charlotte from The Lottie Project

The novel ends with Charlie agreeing to have Mark and Robin over for Christmas. Fast forward ten years, and it isn’t hard to imagine that Mark and Jo are now happily married. Charlie will have surprised everyone by knuckling down at school and getting herself a place at a great university to study History or Creative Writing. Her boyfriend, Jamie, has of course gone to Oxford but visits her every other weekend. Charlie is on the exec of Debating Society and writes for the University newspaper every week in preparation for an exciting career in journalism. As expected, she’s a total BNOC. True to her childhood self, Charlie is determined to make it big – watch out, Charlotte Alice Katherine Enright will be gracing your screens very soon!  

Beauty/Cookie from Cookie

Beauty, called ‘Ugly’ by her classmates, comes into her own by the end of the novel. Now known as Cookie, she cuts her hair short, makes cookies and finally gets a rabbit of her own. I would bet that Beauty continues to bake throughout school, eventually opening her own bakery in Rabbit Cove. The budding romance between Mike and Dilly has finally blossomed and the duo run the B&B, of course with plenty of rabbits in the garden in honour of Birthday the rabbit. Cookie’s cookies are famous and her successful franchise stores around the country are set to open in 2018. She hasn’t seen her father in five years, but has heard that he remarried two years ago.  

Ruby and Garnet from Double Act

Although a grown up Ruby and Garnet feature in The Butterfly Club, with Ruby as a TV presenter and Garnet as a scriptwriter and producer, the overbearing relationship between these twins does not end as they enter into adulthood. Ruby is jealous of Garnet’s solid relationship of three years, as she progresses through a string of short and fleeting boyfriends. Garnet’s boyfriend feels that she has still not emerged from Ruby’s shadow and encourages her to make her own mark. Garnet undergoes therapy and Ruby learns to be more accepting. Garnet and her boyfriend move away, and although the two stay close, the distance does them good as Garnet shapes a place for herself in the creative world.

April from The Dustbin Baby

April is now a single mother of two living in London. Her youngest daughter was adopted, and named Gina after her beloved friend at Sunnybank Children’s Home. Despite her unstable and convoluted childhood, she is successfully running a small fashion business. Marion is a wonderful grandmother. April does eventually find her real mother, but the two unfortunately do not stay in regular contact. She has learnt, though, that the family she does have around her is the one that really counts.

Jayni from Lola Rose

Ten years later, Jayni is officially Lola Rose. Her mother had a brief relapse in her lung cancer but has now been five years clear. Kenny has nearly finished school and Aunt Barbara still lives with them, providing much needed protection and stability. But Lola Rose has been the true star. She went a bit off the rails during Sixth Form and dropped out of uni, but now she works with charities to raise money and awareness to help victims of domestic abuse like she once was. She has been able to work helping families find new homes and build new lives.