Image Credit: Flickr, Naughty Dog

Andrew Kersley’s Highlight of 2017

For me Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is definitively the best game of 2017. I say this mainly because, on my first run-through – rather shamefully might I add – I played through it all in one prolonged sitting – something I very rarely do.

They didn’t think of direct profitability or cold pragmatism – they just cared about doing justice by both the fans and their own creations

As ever with the entire Uncharted series, the characterisation is immense, you feel genuinely invested in the lives of these characters, and the slow revelation of each person’s backstory not only adds depth in a very realistic manner to already intriguing characters, but gives answers to questions fans have been asking since Lost Legacy protagonist Chloe Frazer first appeared in Uncharted: Among Thieves. In an industry and genre that often fail even the Bechdel Test, it was refreshing to see, especially with characters as unique and multifaceted as the fan favourites Chloe Frazer and Nadine Ross.

Image Credit: IGDB

While it is true there was little revolutionary about the gameplay compared to the last Uncharted game, the focus for these games has always been by and large on the storyline and characterisation. For me, that’s what can change a good game into a truly great one. It’s a testament to the quality and talent of the Naughty Dog production team that they initially planned this game to be a DLC, but upgraded it to a standalone game because they felt this was the only way to give real development and closure to these characters. They didn’t think of direct profitability or cold pragmatism – they just cared about doing justice by both the fans and their own creations. It’s the only game this year, and even in the last few years, where I have finished feeling its makers care as much about the game as I do.