Photo: Netflix/Channel 4

The End of the F***ing World

A deliciously dark comedy, perfect for your next Netflix binge session. The End of the F***ing World follows two dysfunctional teenagers, James and Alyssa (Alex Lawther and Jessica Barden), as they embark on a road trip unlike any other. Although the story sounds like it has an American ‘on-the-road’ movie vibe, The End of the F***ing World is one of the most original and compelling British shows that we’ve seen in a long while.

The show begins slowly, with James and Alyssa deciding to leave behind their troubled and mundane lives to embark on a road trip. However, whilst Alyssa is looking for a break from her home life, and the chance to find her real father, James is interested in fulfilling a long-term desire – to murder a human being rather than animals. At 17, he is convinced he is a psychopath, and he wants to put that idea to the test.

The romance between the titular characters is sweet and endearing

Throughout the entirety of the eight-episode show, James undergoes a well-written character development as the psychopathic feelings he confesses to bestow melt away as he develops feelings for Alyssa. Despite the sometimes violent nature of the show, the romance between the titular characters is sweet and endearing, an unexpected subplot within the carnage of the characters lives. It helps that the two lead actors have a wonderful chemistry, their acting shifting between the vulnerability of youth and the cynicism of adulthood.

Another brilliant thing about this show is its diversity. The two police officers assigned the case of tracking down the two notorious teenage criminals – their list of crimes including murder, shoplifting and car theft – are both gay women of different ethnicities (played by Wunmi Mosaku and Gemma Whelan). It is refreshing to see a show diversifying its characters and cast by offering the spotlight to minorities who are not often represented in mainstream media.

The end of the show is bittersweet as, despite the atrocious crimes committed, the audience roots for Alyssa and James to escape the police and continue their Bonnie and Clyde-style adventure of murder and rampage across the country. However, police justice is swift and the series ends with James running away down the beach and the police shooting down the criminal.

The show originally aired on Channel 4 – however, the transition to the streaming service Netflix has thrust the show into the mainstream, with the show itself scoring 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and met with admiring praise for its ingenuity. Only time will tell whether the show will be renewed for a second season – I, for one, very much hope so.