Image: Tim Green/flickr

A beginner’s guide to theatre

The vast array of theatre out there can only make the idea of ‘going to the theatre’ an exciting and intriguing one. It is true to say that there is something out there for everyone, whether you prefer a pantomime or a thrilling and dramatic Shakespearean piece. I have been involved in theatre for a few years, both on and off stage, so I know how it works and what best to look out for. Therefore, to fully appreciate the entire experience, here is a beginner’s guide with some things (in my opinion) to consider.

I’d say one of the best ways to prepare for a trip to the theatre is to read the play if you have enough time. Of course, if you want to go in with no idea and to be surprised by the way the show pans out, by all means ignore this suggestion. But if you would like to consider how they are going to portray a character or what they’re going to do in that particularly difficult scene, knowing the play might be good for comparison.

There is something out there for everyone, whether you prefer a pantomime or a Shakespearean piece

It is important to note that every company and theatre does things differently. Researching the company or establishment and looking at their website or past show trailers might be useful in order to get a sense of the kind of theatre you will be watching. For example, watching something at the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) will be very different to watching something at a local theatre near your home. In addition to this, cost is something to consider. Most theatres will charge money for a ticket but knowing how much you’re willing to spend on a trip to the theatre, not to mention factoring in transport and so on, is vital.

The first thing you’ll no doubt notice before the show begins is the staging and the set. Some stages will be far away and the set will be grand, to prepare the audience for a spectacle; this is common in somewhere like the National Theatre in London. However, smaller theatres may use staging like ‘thrust’, whereby the audience get to see a performance from several angles. Once those lights dim down and the curtain opens (if it’s a traditional set-up, of course) the best piece of advice I can give is to try your best to forget your surroundings and allow yourself to get completely drawn into the play. Now, depending on the style of the theatre this might be easier said than done. For example, much Brechtian work relies on the audience’s detachment rather than emotional involvement. Watch the actors closely. Not only their movements but also how they choose to deliver the dialogue. If you have read the script you might think to yourself: was this how I imagined this character would say it? This kind of analysis allows your own judgements to develop.

Try your best to forget your surroundings and allow yourself to get completely drawn into the play

Post-show, I would recommend that you try to write down your experiences and how you felt before, during and after the performance. This can be really useful if you choose to write a review on it or if you are keen to know more about the play or company. If the script was your favourite part, I would suggest reading more plays by the same person and looking out for a performance of it. From my experience, I have also found that trying acting and writing myself gave me a greater appreciation of the work that goes into making engaging theatre.

To sum up: do your research, open up your mind to the performance and new techniques (you could be witnessing something being tried for the first time!), focus on the details and most of all…enjoy it!