Treating yourself

The dangers of the ‘treat yourself’ Christmas mentality

It’s that time of year again when we are given the excuse to start treating ourselves. Along with the numerous occasions of Easter, Halloween, the New Year – even the fact that it’s Friday, or a blue Monday, it seems that we are persistently reminded by various big-brand companies that we are allowed to spend a bit of cash on ourselves. We deserve it, it seems, for simply just getting on with our lives. So what happens when we combine a season dedicated to gift-giving with self-indulgence?

In 2016, it was estimated that in the UK, Christmas spending reached £77 billion. A concoction of deals that make us think we’re spending our money wisely and such a gratifying mentality created by a commercialised world leads us to excessive and unnecessary purchases. Did you really need that apple peeler that you got for free if you spend £50? We’re all victims to a good bargain, and we’ve all convinced ourselves once or twice that we definitely needed something when we definitely, categorically, did not.The greatly anticipated annual event of Black Friday probably caught the majority of us in this trap, with retail clothes websites in particular promising up to 50% off, and it becomes even more acceptable to splash the cash when we see everyone else around us doing so. The idea that something is a limited-time offer also creates a realm of acceptability in excessive spending – that we may never get the chance to encounter such a bargain ever again seems to justify our purchases.

We’re all victims to a good bargain…

So how do we prevent falling for supposed bargains? It’s time for us to understand a difference between want and need. Sure, once in awhile, a treat here and there is totally deserving and is necessary to add excitement to the day, but especially around a highly commercialised season, it’s difficult to draw a line for when enough is enough. Realistically, most retail stores consistently will have sales and discounts throughout the year, and we know this. It’s about acknowledging that we are psychologically duped into buying more than we need which becomes the first step to saving money this Christmas. Simply being aware that whilst you consciously made that decision to purchase those extra two items in a 3 for 2 sale, steps were taken to make sure that was the exact result. It’s not you, it’s them. Corporations not only make us feel worthy of a treat, but suggest that to not do is to totally deprive ourselves.

Additionally, in the midst of the growing trend of ‘treating yourself’, it has somewhat emerged as an alternative remedy for ‘self-care’. Material spending however will never relinquish deeper issues. The fact that we are constantly told that our problems have a quick-fix is ultimately dangerous to our self-awareness and ability to address direct issues. Instant gratification has undoubtedly become a feature of our society but it is effectively a short-term solution and expensive most of the time. Next time you’re feeling the blues of a Monday morning, treat yourself to genuine self-care, have a warm bath, eat an extra slice of toast, address the issue that’s affecting you rather than replace it with a party dress.