Image : Unsplash

More research confirms that all dogs are good

Dogs are good. This is fact. Even for us nihilistic, absurdist meme-loving millennials, these adorable creatures are a bastion of love and happiness. This obsession is generally associated to our long history with canine companions. The bond between humans and dogs goes back thousands of years, when early man domesticated wolves for hunting, sleigh pulling and genuine companionship. Since then dogs have stood on all fours alongside humans through wars, catastrophes and hardships. They can act as furry space-heaters too.

But dogs and ownership of them are also good for our physical and mental health. Traditionally this is associated with dogs being trained as guides for the blind and elderly. But in recent years, the popularity of the general assistance or therapy dog has exploded. Dogs are used in a variety of therapeutic treatments for all ages. The organisation Pets as Therapy have done fantastic work with hospitals and centres across the country, improving reading ability, comforting and building social confidence amongst young people especially.

Dogs are used in a variety of therapeutic treatments for all ages…

This is because pets are generally more receptive of people – especially dogs who are xenophiles by nature. This means they actively seek out and enjoy the company of strangers, which could be a help to build positive relationships with other human beings. Since they are so non-judgemental, they are used frequently to lower stress levels and fears of interaction. Therapy dogs were famously deployed to Newtown after the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary school. Children found it much easier to talk to the dogs than humans, reportedly giving the animals a more detailed account than they gave their own parents. It has become an increasing norm – recently therapy dogs were used to comfort survivors of the Las Vegas shootings.

But, not all of the benefits of dogs are linked to stress. Medical alert dogs are being more widely accepted, and are used to help those suffering with seizures, diabetes and even migraines to name just a few conditions. The Alzheimer’s Society encourages people with dementia to look after their pets for as long as is safe to do so – they can provide routine and comfort, especially dogs who require walking and feeding at fairly set times.

Medical alert dogs … are used to help those suffering with seizures, diabetes and even migraines

Furthermore, regularly walking a dog will also lower your blood pressure and make you less susceptible to heart disease. Studies have shown people with abnormal heart rhythms live longer if they own a dog compared to non-owners. Other research indicates dog owners on average take 2760 more steps everyday than non-owners, which equates to roughly 23 minutes extra exercise, nearly the daily  amount recommended by the government.

Dogs are also great tools for sociability. It has been suggested that dog owners are generally more positive people than non-owners, and as a result are more likely to engage with strangers and seek companionship. Dr Sandra McCune further argues dogs help create connections that “transcend racial, cultural, physical and socio-economic differences.” Being able to make significant connections is linked to lowering stress and increased positivity amongst humans. It’s also good for your pet – they are inherently social creatures and need stimulation as much as humans do.

It has been suggested that dog owners are generally more positive people than non-owners…

Dog ownership has been praised for helping children to learn and to think empathetically. It also helps to reduce the risk of developing respiratory and ear infections, gastroenteritis and some allergies. Better health is linked to better school attendance, which in the early years will significantly improve a child’s learning abilities and potential in the wider world.

There are only benefits to interactions with these furry friends (unless you’re allergic of course!). They positively influence our mental and physical health, and always offer a warm cuddle whenever we want one. While opportunities to own a pupper at university are slim, even just petting a dog can drastically reduce stress levels for the rest of the day. To summarise: go forth, brave students, and pet.