Image: Pixabay

New student flats planned for Westwood Heath

Plans have been submitted by property developers to build nearly 400 student flats near the University of Warwick campus.

McLaren Property have said that 382 student units would be built on Westwood Way, Westwood Heath, which is around a 20-minute walk away from main campus, or a six-minute bicycle journey.

The developers say that it is ideal for university students as the sustainable site would be close to campus and away from residential areas. They also claim that the new accommodation, which is located on an old office site that has been disused for four years, would have numerous transports links, with students being able to benefit from great pedestrian links, on-site bicycle storage, as well as easy access to local bus services – all within a secure and discreet environment.

Close to campus and away from residential areas

For students at the University of Warwick, the proposed site is closest to the Warwick Business School and it is next to the Warwick Manufacturing Group Academy for Young Engineers.

McLaren Property’s Development Director, Bruce Ruddle, commented: “We are pleased to have submitted our planning application for a new student accommodation scheme on the site of 1 The Oaks to the city council.”

“The site has been vacant for several years and given its sustainable, discreet location and distance from the neighbouring residential areas, we believe that it is ideally suited for a high quality, professionally managed student living scheme.”

“We have engaged constructively with our neighbours at the site and local stakeholders throughout the pre-application process and hope that our proposals to regenerate this site will be well received.”

The plans have not yet been approved by Coventry City Council.