Seven effective ways to overcome post year abroad blues

The time of return eventually comes around for all of us. As September rolls in and the infamous British weather is ever present, we long for those sunny days spent sipping cocktails in rooftop bars and lying on beaches across Europe.

Here are some tips on surviving for my fellow returners:

1. MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR TIME ABROAD

If your exams finish in June and you don’t go back to university until September, that leaves you the whole summer to take full advantage of your time abroad.

So many people I know fly straight home after exams finish, but there’s no reason to rush. There are countless summer job opportunities and experiences for students abroad. They are simple to apply for and can result in huge benefits.

So many people I know fly straight home after exams finish, but there’s no reason to rush.

I finished my exams in Milan in mid-June, and I only got home a few days before the start of lectures. I have tried so many new things, including Au Pairing, tutoring, coordinating summer camps and even club promoting. I can confidently say that both my language and communication skills would never have reached the same level if I had booked a flight back as soon as term finished.

My advice is to make connections and build on new friendships whilst you are there. Surround yourself with native speakers, fully immerse yourself in the culture, in order to enjoy the last few weeks to the fullest.

Surround yourself with native speakers, enjoy the last few weeks to the fullest.

2. MAINTAIN A POSITIVE OUTLOOK ON YOUR RETURN

Accept the fact you have returned. It is a guarantee that work load will be overwhelming and it’s likely that you won’t see the sun as much. However, try your hardest to stay positive about the upcoming year. Instead of complaining, make the most of your last few years at university before real life begins.

3.  KEEP YOURSELF BUSY AND GET INVOLVED IN UNIVERSITY LIFE

Jump full force back into university life. Join clubs and societies that you have always been curious about or wanted to try out. Get a gym membership and keep yourself busy with regular exercise classes. If you are still feeling low and find you have too much spare time, why not volunteer at University Open days: this is a great way to get involved and meet new people, as well as boosting your CV.

Join clubs and societies that you have always been curious about.

4. DON’T LET THE LANGUAGE SLIP

I realise that this tip is easier said than done, as you will no longer be around native speakers all day long. However, you can make new connections with international students at your University, by attending Erasmus welcome events and language socials. You could also join a tandem scheme network where you can practice the language on a regular basis.

More importantly, make sure you keep in touch with your friends abroad, as you may get an opportunity to return at some point. As an example, my flatmate and I were so close that she has invited me to stay with her in Milan whenever I would like, and I plan to go back as soon as I can.

Make new connections with international students, attend events and language socials.

5. DON’T BE A HERMIT

Although at first it may feel like you’ve taken a step back, be sociable and friendly when you return to university. I realise that nightlife is not going to be as exciting as the glam and flashy clubs in Milan. It will be tempting to stay in and watch Netflix on cold, rainy nights. However, I know I will eventually slip back into normal routine, spending time with old friends, as well as meeting new people.

6. DISCOVER NEW PLACES

It’s so easy to get sucked back into that university ‘bubble’ that is so often talked about. I’ve realised there are many places in England that I haven’t visited. Having friends in universities all over the country can be the perfect excuse to explore new places. Prices aren’t ridiculously high if you use your student rail card and book weeks in advance: my first stop was Bristol for Halloween and I plan to travel more in the coming months.

Having friends in universities all over the country can be the perfect excuse to explore new places.

7. PLAN YOUR SUMMER

Finally, and possibly most importantly, plan next summer: this will give you something to look forward to and make the year go by quicker than ever. Whether it will be an internship in London, a beach bar job in Spain or travelling around the world, better to hatch up an idea of what you want to achieve early in the year: this way you will have a goal to reach for.