Easy-Peasy Risotto

This one-pot risotto recipe from Kate Preston makes such a heart-warming dinner and is also ideal to box up and reheat for your lunches throughout the week. (Just note that if you do reheat it, make sure the rice is piping hot throughout before you eat it!)

Ingredients

• 175g Brown rice (although white rice works perfectly too)

• 1tbsp butter (approx. 25g)

• 1 onion, diced

• 4 cloves garlic

• 1 chicken breast (optional)

• 3 rashes bacon (optional)

• 2 chicken (or veg) stock cubes

• 1ltr boiling water

• 100g frozen peas

• 100g frozen or tinned sweetcorn

• Black pepper to season

• Splash of dark soy sauce (optional)

Method

1. Start by melting a 1 tbsp butter in a large pan. Add the chopped onions, garlic, diced chicken breast, chopped bacon (optional) and cook on a high heat until the chicken is cooked through. Then add the rice and leave to fry whilst you boil the kettle.

2. Pour a little of the boiling water into the rice and crumble in your stock cubes. Continue to gradually add the remaining water, stirring the rice regularly until it expands in size and absorbs most of the stock.

3. Now add your frozen peas and sweetcorn (or any other veg you wish to spruce up your risotto!) – At this point you may also wish to add a drop more water to keep that rich creamy risotto consistency.

4. Once your frozen veg is vibrant in colour and your risotto is nicely simmering, season with black pepper and/or a splash of soy sauce and enjoy – or portion into Tupperware boxes to take with you on campus throughout the week.