Image: Wikimedia Commons

The Darkness shine bright in Birmingham

It was only natural to expect great things from The Darkness at Birmingham O2 Academy on the 9 December. Their reputation as live performers certainly precedes them, and having supported Guns n’ Roses earlier this year, they were well warmed up for their winter tour supporting their newest album, Pinewood Smile. It was clear from the moment the band members walked on stage – to a crescendo of choral notes and bagpipes – that they were utterly confident, seasoned professionals, ready to have fun.

The supporting act, Americana band the Blackfoot Gypsies, suitably worked the crowd up while capturing the kooky vibe that encapsulates The Darkness’ appeal; the main singer was dressed like a Wurzel, and their harmonica player showed serious skill, even doing some uncanny bird whistling midway through their set, to our fascination. Though their sound introduced something unique, their songs became a bit repetitive. By the time their set ended, the crowd were more than ready for the main event.

It was hard to tell which songs were new and which were older, creating an exciting show that brought all generations of fans together

At the beginning, it was slightly intimidating being among the high proportion of older, long-haired men sporting various ‘vintage’ Darkness memorabilia; this quickly eased off as the band made their way through their set, with a seamless blend of classics from Permission to Land through to the newer material. It was hard to tell which songs were new and which were older, creating an exciting show that brought all generations of fans together, as they smoothly transitioned from ‘Love is Only a Feeling’ to the newer punk anthem ‘Southern Trains’.

It wouldn’t be a Darkness review without mentioning the frontman himself, Justin Hawkins, as he masterfully worked the crowd both through his insanely powerful falsetto (even more impressive live than on a record), and his hilarious inter-song interactions with fans. Arriving on stage in an incredible glittery green jumpsuit, with a matching cape, Hawkins was every inch the entertainer, creating the best rapport with the audience I’ve ever witnessed. Midway through the set he managed to hold a lengthy handstand, moving his legs to the beat, showing us how he earned his reputation as a remarkable showman (although, surprisingly, he refrained from crowd-surfing).

You haven’t truly lived until you’ve experienced ‘I Believe in a Thing Called Love’ live

Altogether, the entire show was a study in supreme showmanship – from Frankie whipping out a cow bell to the audience’s delight for ‘One Way Ticket’, to the simple but effective staging, with huge spotlights on stage overwhelming our eyes as well as our ears, leaving us completely dazed.

The cherry on top came at the encore; the audience knew that the two greatest hits, ‘I Believe in a Thing Called Love’ and ‘Christmas Time (Don’t Let the Bells End)’, were still to come, and they certainly built up anticipation. After five minutes – which felt like an eternity – the band reappeared, with Justin having changed into a festive gold jumpsuit. Although initially we were asked to choose between which hit we wanted to hear (an impossible choice), they indulged us with both, giving us an early Christmas present. The timeless melodies of ‘Christmas Time’ brought delightful holiday cheer, but you haven’t truly lived until you’ve experienced ‘I Believe in a Thing Called Love’ live; the audience were absolutely delirious with joy when the opening riffs played, and the venue was filled with a cacophony of varying attempts at falsetto (most unsuccessful), attempting to reach those famously high notes. It was an amazing end to a fun, spirited evening, and was the perfect blend of early noughties nostalgia with their modern Pinewood sound; I strongly recommend you get a ‘One Way Ticket’ to see them at your next opportunity.