Image: Coventry City Council

‘Coventry Safe Space’ scheme launched

The ‘Coventry Safe Space’ scheme was launched on Friday 15th December and will continue to run on weekends until New Year. It is a service that aims to keep party-goers well and safe during the festive season.

The service is taking place thanks to a collaboration between Coventry Public Health, Licensing, Coventry Police, Arley Medical Services, St. John the Baptist Church and the Street Pastors.

It will be based at Coventry’s St. John the Baptist Church and the IKEA car park from 10pm to 3am and will support those in need of medical attention or assistance to get home safely. It will offer water bottles, flip flops, blankets, and waste bags as well as first aid from Arley Medical Services.

In order to raise awareness of the support available, the service posted live updates on social media during the first night it operated using the hashtag #covsafe. These detailed the injuries that revellers had obtained and how they had been helped.

Councillor Kamran Caan, who is the cabinet member for Public Health and Sport at Coventry City Council, commented: “Community safety around the Christmas period is of extreme importance and we also want to continue our work to reach out and support those who are vulnerable who have been victims of substance abuse.”

“I am hugely proud that we are delivering the Coventry Safe Space service in partnership with the Police and Street Pastors as it’s a good opportunity for us to work together to provide much needed support during a very busy time of the year when people need to stay safe when out.”

Trish Willetts, Coventry Business Improvement District Manager stated: “Coventry Safe Space is an opportunity to work together and help keep communities safe during Christmas time.”

“We’ll be providing First Aid, water, blankets and the Street Pastors will be helping people to get home safely.

We want to make sure that anyone in need after a night out in the city centre has a safe place to go to at a time of the year when it’s very busy, cold and lots of nightlife events are going on.”