image: unsplash
image: unsplash

A Student’s Guide for Christmas Gifts

For many students, the prospect of Christmas shopping can seem slightly daunting. Looming deadlines and worries about money adds even more pressure. The ideas listed below can be as inexpensive or expensive as you like and hopefully will provide some food for thought which will perhaps make the prospect of Christmas shopping a little less stressful.

1. Time

The gift of time comes in various different forms such as dinner dates, movie nights, cookery classes or concerts. By giving someone the gift of an experience or activity, rather than materialistic items this ultimately creates memories that will last. Whether this gift is for busy parents that always complain that they never get to spend enough time with each other, or for your other half, it remains an exciting way to do enjoyable things together. Christmas is all about “family time” and this idea certainly works a treat.

1. Memories

This can range from photo albums, collages or personalised gifts that can be purchased on websites such Snapfish or Boots. You can really have a lot of fun with this idea. You may especially “beautiful” photos of your flatmates that you would want to put on a mug or collage. The result is either making them laugh or temporarily hate you. Hopefully, the latter won’t last long, but even if it did it would be worth it, as the look on their face would be priceless. Personalised baubles would also be good fun and perfect for siblings or other halves. You can find these relatively cheaply on sites such as Amazon or eBay which allow you to insert your own photos of people inside the baubles, which adds a personal touch to the Christmas tree.

1. Warmth

Dressing gowns. Blankets. Slippers. Hot water bottles. Handwarmers. Such items really are game changers especially now that temperatures have dropped dramatically making each day seems colder than the last. You might have a friend or family member who is always known for being the “perpetually cold one” or friends that are having endless battles with their central heating in their rather disappointing student accommodation. If these scenarios ring any bells then these gifts would be ideal and really help put those shivering people out of their misery. There really is nothing better than feeling like your wearing an impenetrable amour of warmth and ending the day in a nice toasty bed.

1. Portable phone charger

We all know that one person who’s phone is constantly out of charge or stuck on that daunting 10% battery. Now there is really no excuse. At surface value, portable chargers seem relatively mundane however when received as a gift they surprisingly trigger an unexpected reaction of relief. These can be purchased online in a variety of different colours or in-store. You can even add your own personalised logos on them, they do not have to be boring!

1. Personalised Hampers

These are really great for people that you know really well and have the time to put in a tad bit more effort to give it that personalised touch. Whether its friends you have known for years, family members or other halves this is your chance to make them smile by putting quirky things in that only you know they like. You can fill it with photographs, their favourite foods, music, or even something really random which will just make them laugh. You can have a lot of fun with this gift and can even personalise the hamper if you’re feeling especially creative!