What says Christmas better than brie and asparagus? Well, why not innovate this classic Christmas combo with some lovely asparagus and a scrummy pastry crust? Fun, festive and ideal either as a veggie alternative to roast meat in your Christmas dinner, a party appetizer, or simply as a festive treat to take onto campus! Have an Xtra special Xmas!
- 100g plain flour
- 50g cold block butter
- 50ml cold water
- Generous pinch of salt, pepper, sage and thyme
- Asparagus sprigs, sliced finely
- Cranberry sauce
- Brie (or preferred Christmassy cheese)
- 2 eggs
- Splash milk
- Add flour and spices to a large mixing bowl
- Add butter and use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Add cold water a drop at a time. Your pastry dough should be wet enough to combine but dry enough to roll and shape – you may not need all the water.
- Use a rolling pin or empty bottle of wine to roll out your pastry dough until 1cm thick, and mould into ramekins (or a muffin tin if you’d prefer mini tarts)
- Fill your tarts with the finely chopped asparagus, cranberry sauce, and top with chunks of brie.
- Finally, beat together 2 eggs with a splash of milk and pour into the tartlets.
- Season with a final sprinkle of salt and pepper and bake in the oven for about 25 mins (or until golden/brown)