Image: Bryan C. Parker/Pop Press International

The best of the best gigs near you this Autumn term

There are few ways to enjoy music that quite match the thrill of a live gig. Carwyn Phillips shares her recommendations for upcoming live acts near you.

The Horrors – Tuesday, October 24th at O2 Institute, Birmingham

The history of Southend band The Horrors has been characterised by constantly changing musical direction between each album. They have explored lo-fi garage, matured with shoegaze, and flirted with psychedelia and dance tunes (as well as straight-up stadium rock). Their latest efforts sees the band delve into synth-pop, with tracks such as ‘Something to Remember Me By’ bound to be played at indie discos in the future. The shift in direction has seen the band rewarded with opportunities to support top-tier bands of the previous decades like New Order and Depeche Mode, and so The Horrors definitely know how to put on a gig.

Run the Jewels, Tuesday – November 14th at O2 Academy, Birmingham
There are few in hip-hop at the moment that can match both the energy and chemistry of El-P and Killer Mike, collectively known as Run the Jewels. The left-leaning cult favourites have capitalised on the political turmoil of the United States to release a third album fueled with defiance and anger aimed at the establishment, with police officers, exploitative capitalists and Donald Trump all in their sights. It is unsurprising that Run the Jewels have been endorsed by Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn in recent years for their political raps. For those who like to separate music from politics, they’ll find pleasure in the swaggering tracks ‘Stay Gold’ and ‘Call Ticketron’, which show off their skills. Run the Jewels will be supported by Danny Brown, another rapper at the top of his game as he comes off the back of the critically-acclaimed Atrocity Exhibition.

There are few in hip-hop at the moment that can match both the energy and chemistry of El-P and Killer Mike

Wolf Alice – Thursday, November 16th at O2 Academy, Birmingham
There are, and always will be, indie bands that struggle to communicate the vulnerability and sometimes sheer bliss of youth without slipping into cliché, eye-rolling statements over generic guitar strums. Wolf Alice is not one of these bands. The first album, My Love is Cool, from the North Londoners captured the hearts and minds of British teenagers with raw indie rock that perfectly reproduced teenage abandon. The lead vocalist, Ellie Rowesell, can sing the sweetest of lullabies over gentle guitar and in the next moment, release the rawest of voices as her band launches into headbanging thrash-rock. While the band have commented that their upcoming release, Visions of a Life, is their most synth-heavy to date, their fans will still form the most intense mosh-pits of the current indie scene.

Marika Hackman – Tuesday, November 21st at Bodega Social Club, Nottingham

The twenty-five year old from London has turned the heads of music critics this year with a departure from the atmospheric neo-folk sound that characterised her debut album We Slept at Last, released three years ago. Hackman now tours off the back of her well-received release from this year, I’m Not Your Man, which incorporates elements of her old sound, but adds grunge components and traditional indie-pop guitar to the most bitter and biting of lyrics based on her personal relationships. The lead single from the album, and one of the best singles of the year, Boyfriend’, displays Hackman’s sharpness as she sweetly swings about stealing a woman from a naïve man who believes “a woman needs a man to make her shout”. Hackman has a bright future ahead of her, so jump on the train to Nottingham to get on the bandwagon early.

Algiers – Sunday, November 26th at Hare & Hounds, Birmingham
The experimental rock band truly are an acquired taste, with their unique sound seeing angst-driven lyrics intensified by quasi-gospel choir vocals with industrial post-punk backing. Franklin James Fisher, the frontman, has a difficult job therefore, but manages effortlessly, with a remarkable presence on each track the band puts out – his vocals are at times chilling. The band’s latest album, The Underside of Power turns the qualities of the band up to eleven. The intimate Hare & Hounds provides the perfect place for their raw energy and cult audience.

Gorillaz – Saturday, December 2nd at Genting Arena, Birmingham

The fictional band may not have lived up to the demands of both critics and fans alike as the latest album, Humanz, received a cool reception upon release, but an opportunity to see the former Glastonbury headliners live is still a valuable one. Humanz was conceived as a “party playlist for the end of the world” by co-creator and Blur frontman, Damon Albarn, and so tunes that may have missed the mark in the ebb-and-flow of an album may find new life and meaning when played live. While the likes of Danny Brown, Vincent Staples and Del La Soul may not appear in person after featuring on the album, the stage presence of Damon Albarn will still be captivating.