Image: Flickr / Nicholas Smale

Summer 2017 News Roundup

Patrick Brandstätter gives a roundup of the top News stories that happened in and around Warwick this summer.

Warwick granted millions to improve healthcare in poor countries

The University of Warwick has been granted £7 million by the National Institute for Health Research to combat health issues in some of the poorest countries around the world. As part of a coalition, including the University of Edinburgh and the University of Birmingham, Warwick will be heading the effort.

The planned first steps are based around research, with centres to be set up in parts of Africa, southern Asia and the Americas. Richard Lilford, Professor of Public Health and Pro-Dean at Warwick Medical School, stressed the importance of focusing on slums stating: “Even if slum residents live close to health services, they can have difficulty getting needed care.”

Health Minister Lord O’Shaughnessy also commented: “The UK will continue to be at the forefront of health knowledge, and it is only right that we support developing nations”. The research hubs will be established over a four-year period.

TK Maxx is coming to Leamington this September

TK Maxx has opened a new store in Leamington’s Shopping Park, just south of the railway tracks. The store opened on 21 September and marks further expansion for the retail chain which already has over 500 stores across Europe. While many students were enthusiastic about the opening, concerns have been raised by some local retailers.

Ashley Collins, from the company that owns the Royal Priors shopping centre, told the Leamington Courier: “Leamington is vulnerable to out-of-town retail space, and needs protection from out-of-town expansion.”

Falling entry requirements as courses in seventeen departments at Warwick advertised through Clearing

Warwick advertised 134 different courses spanning 17 different departments through clearing on Results Day this year.

The demand for applicants saw the entry requirements for many courses reduced, with requirements for History lowered from AAA to ABB. The trend was not unique to Warwick, as a 4% fall in university applications this year left a total of 4,000 courses at a number of Russell Group universities with unfilled places.

Concerns were also raised over students’ understanding of the Clearing process, with a study by Northumbria University finding that only 26% of students surveyed would use Clearing if they received worse grades than anticipated.

Leamington doctor who set up Winter Night Shelter for homeless wins national award

Dr Susan Rutherford, a doctor from Leamington Spa, was awarded a British Citizen Award at the Palace of Westminster on 6 July. Dr Rutherford received the award, designed to celebrate the achievements of ‘everyday’ people, for setting up Leamington Spa’s Winter Night Shelter to help the town’s homeless population.

Volunteering at charities, while also training to become a doctor, Dr Rutherford has a track record of humanitarian work. Speaking to the Leamington Courier, she commented: “I was pretty overwhelmed when I found out about the award. It’s very humbling when people show their appreciation like this because it’s not what you do it for”