Image: Raw Music and Rock Soc

All the music societies your heart desires: Rock Soc and RAW Music

Continuing with the introductions to the music societies on campus, we feature the Rock Soc and a fellow media society, the music section of RAW.

ROCK SOC

Warwick Rock Soc is a society dedicated to all lovers of rock music! Whether you are head over heels for heavy metal, passionate about pop punk or captivated by classic rock, we here at Warwick’s Rock Soc are welcoming to all who share a love for rock music. Our aims are to build a community of likeminded music lovers, both undergraduate and postgraduate, who want to explore new music and connect with people with similar interests. We hold a variety of socials throughout the year, including our weekly Tuesday social where members gather for a drink and a chat in either the Terrace Bar or Dirty Duck. But we don’t stop there! We also hold another social each week which has included Curry Nights, Karaoke, Film Nights, Pub Golf, Trampolining, Gigs and more! We even had a go at our own version of ‘The Great British Bake-Off’!

If you are looking for a gig buddy, someone to brave the mud with at Download or just to share your undying passion for 90s speed metal then look no further

Twice a term you will most likely find us enjoying the SU’s event ‘Crash’ where you can mosh to your hearts content and enjoy music that you might not hear on a Wednesday night at Pop!. We hold the one and only iconic ‘Pre-Crash’ event in the Terrace Bar from 8pm so even if a night in the Copper Rooms isn’t quite your thing, you can join us there beforehand. If you are looking for a gig buddy, someone to brave the mud with at Download or just to share your undying passion for 90s speed metal then look no further – Warwick Rock Soc will be for you. You can message our Facebook page or join our Facebook forum at ‘Warwick RockSoc Forum to get in touch with like-minded music fans like yourself. And if you like what we’re selling, don’t forget to join our society through the University’s society page!

RAW MUSIC

Raw music is a group formed of RAW members with interest in music – you don’t need to be knowledgeable, just a lover of a tune or two! Regardless of your taste in music there is something for you to get involved with, including a weekly chart show and new music review show hosted by the heads of music Amber Brooks and Tilly Goodall. Here you’ll have plenty of opportunity to air your opinion and we welcome anyone so it doesn’t matter if you haven’t previously experienced being on the radio. As well as the two weekly departmental shows, we also put together RAW sessions, which is where we ask artists to come in and we film a short acoustic session as well as a mini interview. You can view some of our sessions by accessing our YouTube channel: RAW1251 AM.

One of the interviews done by RAW music

This is a great opportunity for you to get involved and if there is an artist you’d like to have in for a session then we will certainly do our best to get them for you! We hope to become more involved in the local music scene too, whether that’s bands/artists from campus or Coventry, Leamington Spa and/or Birmingham. This initiative will provide you with plenty of opportunity to build interviewing skills! You can contact us by email: raw.ml.music@gmail.com. Alternatively, you can inbox our RAW music page; and if you’d like to be added to our RAW music group then all you need to do is ask! Do pop into our office which is found on the same floor in the SUHQ as the Boar office with any questions that you may have – we look forward to hearing from you and hopefully welcoming you to our team!