Image: Blubel / Unsplash
Image: Blubel / Unsplash

Eating Healthy on Campus

Warwick campus has tons of options when it comes to grabbing lunch with your new flatmates, hosting society meet-ups, or refuelling you for your next lecture. Whilst there’s no harm indulging in a burger and chips from time to time, here are some healthy options to make your lunchtimes just that little bit more nutritious:

Rootes Grocery Store

This store has a wide selection of ready-made salads and sandwiches that are packed with veggies. I like to pair these with a little packet of nuts or Grazebox munchies such as dried fruit. You could also grab a yogurt pot or a piece of fruit from their extensive range of fresh produce.

The Bread Oven 

The Bread Oven offers healthy sandwich options, such as:

• The ‘Skinny Bird’ baguette (turkey, hummus, lettuce and tomato)
  • Roasted vegetable, pesto and rocket baguette
  • You can even create-your-own salad box or baguette with all your favourite veggies, from leafy greens to vibrant roasted Mediterranean vegetables! A range of fish or lean meat (such as chicken and turkey) is available too, if you wish.
  • Yogurts and fresh fruit can be a healthier alternative to crisps or chocolate in the ‘Meal Deal’ offer.

Xananas Restaurant

Xananas also has some delicious veggie-packed dishes ideal for lunchtime. For example:

• Sun-blushed tomato and mozzarella salad, tossed with pine nuts, basil, olive oil, rocket and balsamic dressing
  • Cajun-spiced chicken salad with citrus mayonnaise
  • Vegetable gateau – roast peppers, aubergine, courgette, red onion, asparagus, roast new potatoes and arrabiata sauce
  • Homemade soup, accompanied by warmed ciabatta

The Library Cafe

A  convenient hotspot for when you’re studying hard. Some of their healthy options include:

• Jacket potatoes with a variety of filling toppings such as baked beans, tuna and sweetcorn and chilli con carne.
  • Vegetable-based soups and a bread roll.

The Dirty Duck

The Dirty Duck is not only brill for hearty pub-grub, it also has an impressive salad selection:

• Warm goats cheese and walnut salad with an olive balsamic dressing
  • Ceaser salad with fresh croutons, parmesan shavings and (optional) chicken
  • Roasted red pepper hummus served with salad & rice cakes
  • Black rice, quinoa, ginger and rocket topped with guacamole & shaved carrot

Bar Fusion

This restaurant offers an Asian-inspired menu, and is another great option for a tasty lunch on campus. Their delicate spicing guarantees that even their healthier options are full of flavour, for example:

• Chickpea and sweet potato curry infused with chilli, ginger and garlic, served with rice
  • Tandoori Vegetables in a lightly spiced masala sauce, served with rice
  • Vegetable stir fry with peppers, bean sprouts, boc choi, carrot, spring onion, mushrooms and rice.
  • Chicken & Avocado Salad with free range egg, muki beans, chard and pea shoots and Fusion dressing

Overall, the opportunity for healthy eating on campus is vast; I hope I have reassured you that you can order nutritious food without compromising on the flavour!