Photo: Channel 4

Channel 4’s Great British Bake Off – a recipe for success?

The Great British Bake Off has been an autumnal staple on our TV screens for almost seven years. However, the beloved baking show made the move from the BBC to Channel 4 this year, much to the dismay of loyal fans. With the series finale airing next week, it’s time to reflect on whether the move has been a success or a disaster?

Every year the 12 contestants baking their way to the top change to encompass every corner of Britain,  with this years line up being no different. One of the main appeals of the show is the quirky characters with this year’s fan favourites being Julia, Yan and Liam. However, as the show progresses the competition gets tougher and favourite contestants have to leave. The controversy and outrage this year has come in the form of fans on Twitter expressing their anger at the contestant’s elimination process. The three fan favourites all left one after another, much to audience’s dismay as bakers with less talent and more soggy bottoms still remain in the competition.

Looking at fan tweets, the audience feels there is a lack of overwhelming talent this year

Looking at earlier series that aired on the BBC with the same judges, fan favourites often leave early – take for instance last year’s favourite, Selasi. However, audiences online question how fair the elimination decisions are and whether new judge Prue Leith and returning judge Paul Hollywood are making the right decisions.

Last week’s episode was the semi-finals, with the four remaining contestants having to create a meringue show stopper to secure their place in the final. In earlier years this is where the best of the best create something astounding, with the judges often unable to find any fault. This year, however, faults and mistakes were very clear. Meringue is notoriously delicate and shaping it into intricate and fantastical designs is not without its risks. Unfortunately, every baker this year had an issue with their semi-final showstopper. A chocolate basket melted in the hot tent, a ballet corset cracked apart, a flamingo’s head broke off and the rainbow creation appeared simple. Looking at fan tweets, the audience feels there is a lack of overwhelming talent this year.

Although last week’s episode wasn’t met with fan acclaim, there have been many high points in this series. Take, for instance, every time Noel Fielding is on-screen. The dynamic presenting of Mel and Sue is a large hole to fill, but Noel in his eccentric shirts fulfils their role. Noel and Sandy have a quirky dynamic together, they add jokes when they’re needed and support the bakers whilst holding the show together. Although Mel and Sue were fantastic in the earlier series of the show, I feel Noel and Sandy have done a brilliant job taking over their role.

On a Tuesday night, the trending topic on Twitter is always The Great British Bake Off

This year’s series also saw brand new baking challenges and themed weeks. Take Italian week, which saw cannolis and pizza, or caramel week, where sugar was spun into elegant designs. For those that thought baking is just cakes and biscuits, this year has shown baking taken in many different directions. And, of course, one of the many appeals of The Great British Bake Off is the tongue in cheek innuendos which have inspired many drinking games and giggles in the living room.

Overall, despite the many changes Bake Off has this year, the move from the BBC to Channel 4 has been a smooth one. Once again returning to Twitter, people express their opinion about the Bake Off, and it is normally to a positive effect. On a Tuesday night, the trending topic on Twitter is always The Great British Bake Off, with many people expressing their love for the show and the contestants remaining.  With the finale next week, there are still three very talented bakers who will ice their way to baking perfection and create something astounding. The broken meringues will just be a small blip on the Bake Off road.