Image: Warwick Media Library

Warwick History TV star gains fellowship

Warwick’s Classics and History department academic, Dr Michael Scott, has been awarded with a National Teaching Fellowship, bringing the University’s total to nineteen.

The National Teaching Fellowship Scheme celebrates the highest standards of teaching in higher education. Warwick Classics and Ancient History Professor, Dr Michael Scott, is also a TV presenter known for BBC documentaries such as the three-part series ‘Italy’s Invisible Cities’, which was filmed with Alexander Armstrong.

Winners of the award must have made a significant impact on learning and teaching within higher education. Dr Scott has been recognised by the Higher Education Academy for his dedication to reviving the ancient world with innovative teaching.

Dr Scott has called it a “huge honour” to receive this level of recognition.

“I believe that a variety of teaching and learning experiences can provide students with a strong sense of an ancient world brought to life; an understanding of how they learn best; and the confidence to debate complex ideas,” he said.

Dr Scott added: “I encourage my students to develop a passion for, and enjoyment in, communicating their knowledge and ideas to wide audiences, thus encouraging the next generation of students to delve into a world of study often not easily accessible at school level.”

Alongside his position as an associate Professor at Warwick, Dr Scott works as an author having written books, TV series, and articles for newspapers and magazines ranging to international platforms. Dr Scott’s ancient world TV series has been broadcasted on the likes of the History Channel, National Geographic, the BBC and ITV.

The Professor also gives talks in schools across the country and has featured in several radio programmes. Dr Scott has advanced the Classics Department’s engagement with local schools, working with the Sidney Stringer Academy in Coventry and national ‘Classics for All’ to motivate the teaching of classics in states schools across the West Midlands.

An annual theatre day is amongst the organised involvements the Professor has set up through engaging with schools in the region.

Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Professor Christopher Hughes, has said: “Michael has been instrumental in inspiring and promoting excellence in the teaching of Classics not only at Warwick but also nationally and internationally.”

Professor Hughes continued: “He is a source of inspiration to students and colleagues alike, with his utterly contagious passion for the study of the ancient world and a gift for unveiling the past in meaningful innovative and engaging ways.”