Image: Warwick AstroSoc

Meet the science societies: AstroSoc

A warm welcome to Warwick from all of us here at AstroSoc! Whether you’re a first-time fresher or a returning student, this guide will tell you all about Warwick’s Astronomy Society, and why you should join!

Who is AstroSoc?

Astronomy Society, or AstroSoc, is a relatively new society open to students from all backgrounds and degree programmes. Whether you have been interested in astronomy for years, have only a vague astronomical knowledge, or simply love to look at the stars, we cater to all tastes and abilities. We organise workshops, projects, and talks from both internal and external speakers at a variety of different levels, as well as a diverse range of social events and trips. Alongside this, we hold regular observing sessions both on campus and in the surrounding areas, star parties, and much more!

Whether you have been interested in astronomy for years, have only a vague astronomical knowledge, or simply love to look at the stars, we cater to all tastes and abilities…

Last year was our first full year as a society, and we managed to fit a lot in. Once a week, members of the society would all meet up for a different activity. We had talks on a wide array of topics, from the history of the universe to the lifecycles of stars, as well as a showcase of research from PhD students, and a workshop series on astrophotography. We built a scale model of the solar system, watched Interstellar, and even had the chance to experience our very own planetarium! Afterwards, we would all head out for some observing (weather permitting!) and, if those sessions were unfortunately postponed due to the British weather, we all headed over to the Dirty Duck (that’s the on-campus pub for any newbies) for an informal catch-up and to get to know everyone a little bit better! Alongside this, we also had a number of exciting trips and socials – meals out, circles (a Warwick tradition!), and even a tour to Madrid!

Why should I join?

We won Best New Society at the Society Awards in June, and for AstroSoc, the only way is up. This year, we have so much in store, whether you’re an astro-expert or a first-time stargazer. Alongside some exciting talks from students, lecturers and external speakers, we have lots planned, from film nights to planetariums, from observing sessions to club nights, from telescope workshops to outings both in the UK and abroad, you’re sure to find something that suits you!

This is just a small sample of what AstroSoc is and does. If you would like a taster of what we do, then we’ll be hosting an assortment of sessions throughout Welcome Week and Freshers’ Fortnight that are open to everyone, so come along and see if AstroSoc is for you!