Image: Kyrosho / Wikimedia Commons

Meet the science societies: ChemSoc

ChemSoc is a vibrant and diverse society, home to over 200 members from all walks of life. Over the last 7 years, ChemSoc has continued to grow, becoming a vital part of every chemistry student’s university life. But don’t be fooled, ChemSoc isn’t just for chemists, our members study a variety of different disciplines. From physics, all the way to law, ChemSoc’s subject diversity is ever on the rise.

Socials are huge part of every student’s university life, so we regularly run a whole variety of them throughout the year. These range from the classic student trips out to Kasbah night club and pub crawls, all the way to trampolining, laser quest and curry nights. ChemSoc also take part in university sports leagues, with our netball and football teams going from strength to strength over the last year. We hold trials in the first few weeks of freshers, and encourage everyone to get involved!

Our Departmental Ball is the highlight of ChemSoc’s social calendar…

Our Departmental Ball is the highlight of ChemSoc’s social calendar, selling out in less than 24 hours in 2017. This year, we’re set to go bigger and better than ever before. Our theme will be announced in October, and it promises to me an unmissable event. To top off our exciting social calendar, ChemSoc will be running its first international tour, with more details to follow soon!

ChemSoc isn’t just all about socials, we also offer our members the opportunity to volunteer on one of the largest student run outreach projects on campus. The ChemSoc Outreach team visit a variety of primary and secondary schools in the local area, providing a range of activities and workshops to help discover their future potential in STEM subjects.

During exam season, we run student led classes for all chemistry students…

Most importantly, ChemSoc offers a wide range of support for both chemistry and biochemistry students throughout their degree. Our flagship weekly ‘ChemCafe’ delivers talks by students and academics while providing an informal environment where students can work together and seek help from other year groups with free pizza and refreshments. During exam season, we run student led classes for all chemistry students, where older years provide hints and tips on previous exam papers to help students achieve the best grade possible.

As you can see, this year is set to be ChemSoc’s biggest and best yet, and we would love you to be a part of it. Whether you’re after academic help, interested in inspiring future chemists or just looking to have a good time, ChemSoc is a society for everyone.