Photo: HBO/Sky Atlantic

Game of Thrones – Eastwatch

‘Eastwatch,’ what an episode you were. You gave us Gendry and so much more. I’m not talking about mass violence or epic battle sequences. We had that in abundance last episode and we are promised it next week. I’m talking about revealing dialogues, confirmation of long-standing fan theories, reappearances of characters, discussion of moral dilemmas, merging of previously disparate storylines, and some much-needed humour in the writing. This episode was a personal favourite, Thrones at its best.

We begin with Bronn hauling himself and Jamie out of the water, having narrowly saved him from being burnt alive by Drogon at the end of last episode. They worry about the full carnage that Dany could unleash, should she choose to. They’re not the only ones. Tyrion, and later Varys, struggle with Dany’s use of violence, troubled with memories of her father, the Mad King. Yet we see, at least, Dany giving the remaining Lannister soldiers a choice: to bend the knee, or to die. She later orders Drogon to burn Lord Tarly and his son Dickon, who refuse to surrender. This could get a little awkward if Sam returns to best friend Jon (who is currently pretty cosy with Dany) bearing the news that she killed his brother and father.

Having very quickly travelled back to King’s Landing, we see Jamie reporting the loss to Cersei, who seems remarkably confident that buying a bunch of mercenaries with the money from the Iron Bank should ensure their victory. Jamie remains sceptical. He also informs Cersei that Olenna, not Tyrion, killed their son Joffrey, lessening Cersei’s hatred of Tyrion only slightly.

The sisterly conflict is later unsurprisingly exploited by Baelish

At Dragonstone, in what was my standout scene of the episode, we see Jon come face to face with Drogon. Prior to this, the only two characters to physically touch a dragon throughout the series have been Dany and Tyrion, who is possibly the third dragon rider (in another theory entirely). So the viewer looks on in awe as Jon, undaunted by the snarling mass of teeth and scales in front of him, takes off his glove and reaches out to touch Drogon, who slowly blinks in almost recognition. It is testament to the incredible special effects of the show that we see a genuine, visible connection between Drogon, the dragon, and Jon, the blood of the dragon. Dany watches this whole interaction, yet before she can create a moment of her own with current potential love interest Jon, she is interrupted by the return of a previous potential love interest, Jorah. This is an emotional reunion, as Jorah has recently been cured of Grayscale and returns to his queen’s service.

Meanwhile, in Winterfell, Bran has a vision of the White Walkers and their army heading towards Eastwatch. Ravens are promptly sent to every corner of the kingdom as warning. One arrives at the Citadel, where Sam happens to be loitering in a meeting of the Archmaesters as they discuss this news, before dismissing it as fairy tales and myth. Bran’s vision is taken more seriously by Jon, who, receiving the scroll at Dragonstone, discusses how to proceed with Dany and co. Tyrion comes up with a masterplan: go beyond the wall, catch a wight as proof of their existence, show it to Cersei and any disbelievers, gain their support against the common enemy. Jon impresses Dany with a speech about how he will lead the expedition north of the Wall. Not to be outdone by his love rival, Jorah joins the group, which will also include Tormund who is already at Eastwatch.

They’re pretty much the ultimate group of fan-favourites, hand-picked from across storylines, all united by a common cause

Back at Winterfell, we see the Northern lords sitting around in the Great Hall complaining to Sansa about Jon’s absence. Arya watches her sister enjoy their attention before confronting her for not defending Jon’s honour. Arya still sees Sansa as she was before they reunited, wanting to be lady, coveting nice things and people’s affections; whilst Sansa still sees Arya as an unruly little sister, getting in the way of adult politics. This sisterly conflict is later unsurprisingly exploited by Baelish, whose own influence depends upon his close relationship with Sansa – a relationship that Arya’s return recently interrupted.

Next we see Davos smuggling Tyrion into King’s Landing to meet with Jamie, in the hope of securing a meeting between Cersei and Dany, in order to show the wight as proof. Jamie and Tyrion meet and discuss things like the potential death of everyone by an army of dead zombies, blah, blah. More importantly, we see Davos heading to Flea Bottom for business. Wait a second, I know someone who lived in Flea Bottom. Is it? Could it be? Yes, it is. There is Gendry. Three and a half seasons after he rowed off in a boat, Davos has found him and he’s taking him back to Dragonstone, to join forces with Jon and go beyond the Wall.

Gendry (Joe Dempsie) returns! Credit: HBO/Sky Atlantic

Elsewhere in Kings Landing, Jamie informs Cersei of his meeting with Tyrion, but Cersei’s already aware, thinking she can use a meeting with Dany to her advantage in the war. She also let’s slip to Jamie that she is pregnant with their baby. This sudden pregnancy bothers me somewhat. Firstly, whether it’s real or not. If she senses Jamie slipping away from her even slightly, this is the perfect way to reel him back in. Secondly, what about Euron? His whole alliance with Cersei is based on the fact that he will marry her once the war is won. I’m unsure how he’ll feel about her announcing that she’s pregnant with her brother’s child.

Back at Dragonstone, we see the Catch-A-Wight dream team of Jon, Jorah and Gendry leave for Eastwatch to join Tormund. What a group, you may be thinking, it doesn’t get better than this. Wrong! Because guess who’s waiting at Eastwatch? Sadly not the ‘big woman’ as Tormund so eloquently put it. It’s the Hound, Beric Dondarrion, and Thoros of Myr. Who else? They were handily caught wandering close by and imprisoned by the wildlings. So this completes the Fellowship of the Wight. They’re pretty much the ultimate group of fan-favourites, hand-picked from across storylines, all united by a common cause. Yet we immediately see potential conflict within the group. The Brotherhood sold Gendry to Melisandre back in season three, and Tormund hates Jorah because his father killed hundreds of wildlings. Yet for some reason, Thrones fate has brought them all together. The final shot of the episode is this brave group of odd parts heading out beyond the Wall. As this is Game of Thrones and any favourite character could die at any point, we have to be wonder who will make the journey back alive.

Best lines:

‘Wasn’t sure I’d find ya. Thought you might still be rowing.’ – Davos references countless memes upon finding Gendry again.

‘You’re a lot leaner.’ ‘You’re a lot shorter.’ – Jon and Gendry compare themselves to their fathers.

‘You’ll never believe it. But I’ve missed you Mormont. No one glowers quite like you. Not even Grey Worm.’ – Tyrion reflects on old times with Jorah.

‘I’m tired of reading about the achievements of better men.’ – Sam takes action into his own hands when he leaves the Citadel with Gilly, Little Sam, and a lot of stolen books.

Most random plot line/character appearance:

G E N D R Y. He’s back, with a buzzcut, and he’s been ready all this time. ‘Never knew what for, but I’ve always known I’d know it when it comes.’

Easiest moment to overlook:

Possibly the single most important line of the series, delivered in classic Thrones style, in a blink and you’ll miss it moment. In the Citadel, a place of thousands of years of knowledge, it is not an old, wise maester who delivers this bombshell, it’s the just-been-taught-to-read Gilly who stumbles across it, reading it to a not listening Sam. Prince Rhaegar annulled his marriage to Elia Martell. He remarried a woman in Dorne. This woman must be Lyanna Stark. Lyanna Stark is Jon’s mother. Jon is not a bastard. Jon Snow is Jon Targaryen. Jon Targaryen is the unsuspecting, but legitimate heir, to the Iron Throne.

Biggest WTF:

Baelish setting a trap for Arya in order to drive a wedge further between her and Sansa. He hides a scroll in his chambers, supposedly on behalf of Sansa, knowing Arya will go and search for it. The scroll is a letter that Sansa wrote to Robb, back in season one, telling him to bend the knee to the Lannisters. We know that Sansa was forced to write this letter by Cersei (and Baelish himself), but Arya does not. What would anger Arya more than finding out that Sansa herself sided with the Lannisters, and tried to force their brother Robb to do likewise.

Based on Next Week’s Trailer (Penultimate Episode of the Season):

The Fellowship hike through some snow; Dany and Tyrion worry; Arya and Sansa come to blows; Beric’s sword lights up; the White Walkers come; Jon runs.