Image: Warwick Media Library

Warwick rises in 2018 Guardian University Rankings

The University of Warwick has moved up one place from 9th to 8th in the Guardian UK University League Table for 2018.

Warwick ranked 3rd in the country for Accounting and Finance, Politics and History of Art, as well as coming 2nd for Media and Film Studies.

The guide ranks universities according to student satisfaction as scored by the National Student Survey (NSS), graduate career prospects, student to staff ratio, spending per student, entry requirements, and a ‘value added’ score for final degree results compared to original entry requirements.

The ranking is complied by Intelligence Matrix, an independent company.

The table claims that while 88.7% of Warwick students were satisfied with their course and 89.1% were satisfied with the level of teaching, only 73.6% of students were satisfied with the feedback they received on work.

Whilst Cambridge, Oxford and St. Andrews retained the top three spots, Durham rose two places to 4th whilst Bath moved into 5th.

Russell Group universities constituted over half of the table’s top 20 with the University of Coventry remaining the highest ranked former-polytechnic in the table, rising three places from 15th to 12th.

Surprisingly, the table sees Liverpool Hope University move above the University of Liverpool, with the two institutions sitting in 56th and 67th place respectively.

Ranked in 104th place just two years ago, Liverpool Hope’s rise is attributed to improved graduate employment prospects, investment in individual student support, smaller class sizes, and continued improvement to departments including Business and Bioscience.

The biggest risers in the table were the University of West London, who moved up 38 places to 58th.

The table’s two new entrants University of Wales, Trinity Saint David and Birbeck, University of London ranked 112th and 113th respectively.

The full table can be viewed here.