Image: Warwick Media Library

Live opera set to broadcast in the piazza

The University of Warwick is set to broadcast two open air, live opera performances on the big screen in the piazza on central campus during the summer. Verdi’s La Traviata will be shown on Tuesday 4 July and Puccini’s Turandot will be shown on Friday 14 July.

The University is the only place in the West Midlands broadcasting these performances, which will be open to the public and free of charge. The broadcasts will also include exclusive backstage footage and competitions.

Eleanor Sterland, President of Opera Warwick commented: “It’s a great way to inspire and show the community and fellow students here at the university how exciting, dramatic and beautiful Opera can be.”

“Opera will be everywhere on campus this summer, as the students and members of Opera Warwick take to the Studio Theatre stage with their production of Gilbert and Sullivan’s The Pirates of Penzance between 20 and 22 June, as well as live screenings and the Stars Festival.”

“There’s so much on offer; this summer is a great time to give audiences a new insight into the varied and imaginative world of Opera!”

Paul McGrath, the University’s Music Director added: “The opera activities delivered by our students are globally innovative and cutting edge. In the context of this level of interest in the art form, I welcome this development which will enliven our Piazza.”