Jeremy Corbyn
Image: Max Connelly-Webster / The Boar

Jeremy Corbyn’s beard could hinder his election prospects

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn’s beard may hinder his chances in the coming general election, according to a recent survey by male grooming brand The Bluebeards Revenge. The findings revealed that over two-thirds of those polled disliked bearded politicians.

Robert Gascoyne-Cecil

Robert Gascoyne-Cecil’s 1902 full-beard would mark the end of Prime Ministerial facial hair for over a hundred years. (Image: London Stereoscopic / Wikimedia Commons)

Whilst the UK has seen several bearded politicians in recent times – such as former Conservative leader hopeful Stephen Crabb – the last UK Prime Minister to sport a beard was the third Marquess of Salisbury, Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, 115 years ago.

The survey showed that 69 percent of respondents dislike male politicians with facial hair out of the 2,406 people that took part. Female respondents largely prefer politicians to be clean shaven, with 74 percent overall in contrast to the 67 percent of men.

67 percent of respondents that said that they prefer a clean-shaven politician said this was because they are more trustworthy, whilst 75 percent of the respondents that said they prefer politicians with facial hair said that this was because they look more powerful.

Our research suggests that beards in politics are still seen as unprofessional.
Nick Gibbens, The Bluebeards Revenge

Participants said that they prefer the clean-shaven look because “it made a politician appear more inclusive and approachable” to “it comes across as less aggressive”.

However, those who favoured facial hair noted that it appears “more caring,” “makes them look more intelligent” and “hides a double chin and unwanted facial features.”

Jeremy Corbyn

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn’s close-cropped cut may prove unpopular with the electorate. (Image: Chatham House / Flickr)

The Bluebeards Revenge spokesperson Nick Gibbens commented, “A lot of people associate beards with what happens after you lose a campaign and you let yourself go.”

“Despite the recent boom in men sporting facial hair, our research suggests that beards in politics are still seen as unprofessional, are considered lazy but perhaps even more worryingly, make a politician appear less trustworthy as it appears as they are trying to hide something.”

“Margaret Thatcher’s time in charge of the country was a very low point for the political beard, with the then prime minister reported to have said she “wouldn’t tolerate any minister of mine wearing a beard.””

A YouGov poll in March deemed that “beards are growing on the British public” and amongst 18 to 39 year-olds, 61 percent of men sported some form of facial hair.

I don’t think Jeremy’s rather neat facial hair will scupper his chances.
Keith Conniford, The Hair and Barber Council

Keith Conniford, CEO of the Hair and Barber Council, added: “In the last 12 to 24 months, beards have become a fashion statement for men. Prior to this, the beard was perceived as an “un-kept” look, which is why I believe we haven’t had a bearded Prime Minister for over a century.”

Ed Miliband

Even sporting a fashionably clean-shaven jawline, Ed Miliband was unable to secure the government’s top job in 2015. (Image: The Open University / Flickr)

HJ Men Editor Matthew Batham noted the trend toward beards: “Perhaps in the past beards were seen a obscuring someone’s face, suggesting there was something not to be trusted about them, but for the past few years beards have become a fashion statement again, sported by young on-trend guys”.

“I don’t think Jeremy’s rather neat facial hair will scupper his chances. Perhaps he could try some beard oil or conditioner to give it a healthy sheen for all those TV appearances.”

First-year Warwick students Henry Naylor, PPE, and Harriet Simons, Theatre Studies, expressed their support for beards, concluding that politicians look “wiser” and “more mature with facial hair.”