warwick arts centre
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Kyros Ho

Warwick wins NUS Women’s Campaign of the Year

Warwick’s International Women’s Week (IWW) was awarded best Women’s Campaign of the Year at the NUS Women’s Conference 2017 last Wednesday 29 March.

The week comprised of various events, including a panel discussion on ‘Sex Work is Work’, a sexual health workshop, a 5km fundraiser for Women for Women International and a Reclaim the Night march early last month.

The events were organised by the Students’ Union’s outgoing Women’s Officer, Emma-Marie Okoroafor, alongside a IWW coordination team and multiple societies and organisations, including Warwick Anti-Sexism Society (WASS).

Outgoing co-President of WASS Uma Kotwal commented: “We were really lucky to work with a Women’s Officer as incredible as Emma-Marie this year. She planned and brought to life an amazing IWW.”

“With her support and guidance we were able to contribute several events to the campaign including Reclaim the Night march which had a great turnout and hopefully sent an important message about the rights of women and non-binary people to feel safe on our campus.”

“We are delighted the NUS recognised the hard work that was put into curating Warwick’s IWW 2017.”

Emma-Marie added: “We are delighted the NUS recognised the hard work that was put into curating Warwick’s International Women’s Week 2017.”

“I have thoroughly enjoyed working with the IWW coordination team, WASS and a number of fantastic societies and organisations to bring together the week of events covering: mental health and disability, work, education, gendered violence and sexual health.”

“The aim of the week was to highlight and offer students support in these areas, the workshops and educational talks were provided by various specialists and organisations and we hope that students found lasting support in the resources provided.”