sub aqua underwater
Image: Warwick Sub Aqua / Nicole Langdon

Warwick Sub Aqua cross the Channel underwater in sponsored swim

Warwick University’s Sub Aqua club have raised almost £700 for the British Lung Foundation by swimming across the English Channel and back, underwater.

The swim, which took place on Saturday 4 March, was initially only intended to cover 22 miles, the length of Channel, but the 21 swimmers surpassed their target and completed 44 miles underwater, crossing to France and back.

Similarly, the club almost doubled their fundraising goal of £350, raising a total of £665 for charity.

The swimmers each had a general target of 100 lengths with fins, taking one breath at the end of every length. However, since club members were coaxed into pushing themselves with various rewards, such as exclusion from downing a pint at Skool Dayz, many swam far above their initial targets.

A few swimmers, Dan Cumley, Dan Parsloe and Alan Wills, even managed 300 lengths underwater. Alan, a graduate, had returned to the Warwick team for the event.

The group chose to donate the British Lung Foundation as they strongly depend on their lung strength for underwater hockey and wanted to give support to those living with lung issues.

Nicole Langdon, president of Sub Aqua, said: “The first 20 lengths were quite hard as it took a while for our lungs to warm up, but after that it wasn’t so bad. I had a four minute break at 50 and  a two minute break every 20 which really made a difference!”

“I’m so proud at what we achieved as it was not an easy challenge and everyone threw themselves into it completely. We are so grateful for the very generous donations from friends and family supporting us and the incredible cause!”

Joe Fuglewicz-Wildrige, the event organiser, added: “There was a really fun atmosphere, everyone helped make that possible and in turn that helped us swim twice as far as we expected.”