editors
Image: Kevin Spencer/ Flickr

Editor’s letter: Emma’s farewell

This is my last letter as editor of The Boar Comment and there are a few reflections which I would like to make after a year of this role.

Firstly, this issue means a lot to me in the grand scheme of what I set out to achieve here. Anyone who knows me even slightly knows that I’m not highly political, and this has been contentious with a few individuals over the year.

Rather, I set out to give a voice to those who felt they lacked one. Our final issue gives some very brave people the chance to speak out about their experiences of mental illness at Warwick, something which still personally affects me also.

There are a few reflections which I would like to make after a year of this role

It has been challenging at times. Balancing my own opinions and trying to remain impartial hasn’t always been easy, but I know I did my best to represent as many people as possible. Combing through numerous anonymous articles about subjects which I find personally triggering was painful at best. But I’m very glad that I did it. I’m very glad that I could provide this platform, even if it was personally demanding at times.

I will leave this job content in knowing that we have represented not only sufferers of mental illness, but also the BME community, victims of racism, the LGBT+ community, survivors of sexual violence and many more. I hope that this representation continues after I leave because, for me, that is what Comment is really about.

I’m very glad that I did it. I’m very glad that I could provide this platform

Secondly, I have to thank everyone at the paper. My experience of university would never have been the same without meeting everyone on The Boar exec. The lovely Features and News editors have shown me that sexism doesn’t have to stop me, and everyone else has collectively shown me the power of going home to a bottle of wine after a long and painful layup.

I am a more resilient and confident person because of what I have achieved here; it was never just a point on the CV checklist for me. Whether I end up working in journalism or something completely different, I do not yet know. All that matters is that I had an amazing time with some wonderful people.

I have to thank everyone at the paper.

Finally, I need to thank my wonderful deputy editors; Matt, Katherine, Rhal and Elliot. You are all wonderful and amazing at what you do. It wouldn’t have been the same without a group of lovely people who I could reliably send GIFs to over Facebook. I promise to take you all for a drink soon.

So that’s it from me. It’s been fun, and that’s all for now from the bona fide headmistress of Comment. Keep on writing, my darlings.