ThePixelman / Pixabay
ThePixelman / Pixabay

Worldwide Valentine’s: Intercontinental dating

There have been hundreds, if not thousands, of studies that say that long distance relationships are inherently better. There’s also that extremely cheesy saying that goes, “distance makes the heart grow fonder”. But let’s be real, that’s not the reason I’m in one.

I’m in a long distance relationship because I like it. I like where I am at this point of my life. I love being alone during the day and calling my boyfriend at night so we can talk for hours. I enjoy planning trips to see him and then counting down the days. I just don’t appreciate people who judge without knowing what I’m going through.

I am constantly wondering if I talk about my boyfriend too often, or not enough…

Being in a long distance relationship at university is a weird experience. You arrive at your accommodation, meet your flatmates whilst getting ready for your first night out and think to yourself, “when do I bring it up?”

Let me tell you, that question never leaves your mind. I am constantly wondering if I talk about my boyfriend too often, or not enough. I think twice before posting on social media. I am always careful about who I talk to about these things.

In this day and age, long distance relationships are very common. We live in a world with constant Whatsapp notifications, Skype calls, and Snapchat selfies. RyanAir flights are not too expensive, and it’s not difficult to save up so you can have a wonderful weekend together every couple of weeks.

Some people don’t know where to draw the line with nosey questions, doubting how real our relationship is if we only see each other twice a term…

There’s an underlying pressure that comes with long distance relationships, where people think that you’re too immature to be undertaking this kind of pressure. I don’t particularly disagree; I just think that it’s none of their business.

At family dinner tables, instead of hearing questions like, “so do you have a boyfriend yet?”, I get asked “so you’re STILL with your boyfriend?”. Some people don’t know where to draw the line with nosey questions, doubting how real our relationship is if we only see each other twice a term.

There’s also a lot of judgment from peers, which I don’t understand. In one way or another, we’re all in long distance relationships; with our siblings, childhood friends and even pets. So what if some of us decide to take this on with a significant other?

This long distance relationship has allowed me to grow and I’m thankful for that…

I’m not missing out on any staples of university life either. I have multiple pictures in front of the Smack height chart. I still go to Vialli’s after nights out. But I always go home alone – and I don’t see a problem with that.

This long distance relationship has allowed me to grow and I’m thankful for that. I’m independent and I’ve got my own group of friends who I always have time for.

I know that there’s someone on the other side of the phone who will be there for me no matter what…

At the end of the night, I know that there’s someone on the other side of the phone who will be there for me no matter what. And that’s what this relationship means to me.

I’m not saying long distance is easy – it’s clearly not. I’m just saying that there are many other things about me that aren’t defined by the fact that my boyfriend lives more than a thousand miles away.