Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn speaks at Warwick

Jeremy Corbyn, Leader of the Labour Party, was at the University of Warwick this morning speaking at the annual Labour Local Government Conference.

It seems Warwick students were unaware of the visit taking place on Campus; a similar situation to when Theresa May visited Warwick Manufacturing Group on 22 June 2016.

However, Warwick Labour commented: “We were aware in advance that Jeremy was coming to campus for a private local government event but thought it best to catch up with him in Stoke instead, where members were able to canvass alongside him ahead of Thursday’s by-election.’

Steph Campbell, a first year Film student, commented: “When we walked past [the Slate] we could see Labour logos on all the TVs inside as well as on all the bags that people were carrying so we assumed that some kind of conference was going on, what was surprising was the amount of security everywhere, we actually joked that he must be speaking – it came as a bit of a shock when we found out he actually had been.”

She continued “it’s great that such high profile figures are visiting campus but it is slightly annoying that students weren’t told beforehand. Without giving students any opportunity to listen or engage there doesn’t really seem much point to visiting a university.”

Corbyn traveled from the event to Stoke-on-Trent to help party members canvas ahead of the upcoming Stoke-On-Trent Central by-election. Members of Warwick Labour were also campaigning in Stoke in the afternoon.

The event, held at the recently occupied Slate building began at 7.30pm on Friday 17 February with a drinks reception and dinner.

The agenda features a range of speakers including Corbyn and several other local government members and members of the shadow parliamentary team. The day will consist of policy and campaign workshops as well as a plenary.