Image: Flickr/ college.library

Elsewhere at Warwick- 19/02/17

This week’s Elsewhere at Warwick stories include an honorary Warwick graduate being tipped as the potential new Bake Off host, the 2017 Warwick Economic Summit, and the return of the popular Doggy De-Stress day to campus, to raise money for Guide Dogs UK.

Honorary Warwick Graduate tipped as new Bake Off host
Prue Leith CBE, a prominent restaurateur, food journalist and television presenter who became an honorary graduate of Warwick in 2014, has been tipped to succeed Mary Berry as host of the Great British Bake Off when it returns later this year on Channel 4. She told the BBC: “I think I’m close but I know there are two people in the running.” In addition to previously appearing as a judge on the BBC’s Great British Menu, Leith has previously served as chair of the School Food Trust, and received the award for Business Woman of the Year.

Satirical news page ‘The Hoar’ announces closure
The creators of Warwick’s own source of ‘fake news’, The Hoar, have announced its closure to allow them to “focus on their drinking”. Will Kerry and Will Spurr, who set up the page a year ago, stated: “Concerning Warwick, there’s not much more to be said. One year was ample time to cover the lot” but added, “we have one more surprise concealed up our sleeve.” The page had garnered a cult following over the course of the year, amassing over 1,800 likes on Facebook. Their most popular articles included an announcement that Disco Dave had been approached for Trump’s inauguration, and an admission from Warwick Accommodation that “it hasn’t got a clue” where Heronbank is.

2017 Warwick Economics Summit takes place
The sixteenth annual Warwick Economics Summit, one of the biggest student-run academic conferences in Europe, took place on campus between 10 and 12 February 2017. Speakers included Vice Chairman of the Federal Reserve Dr Stanley Fischer, Nobel Laureate Professor Finn Kydland and former Prime Minister of Benin Lionel Zinsou. Fischer’s comments during the event on “significant uncertainty” surrounding the Trump administration’s fiscal policy attracted international press attention.

University set for Cross-Party debate
A cross-party debate between representatives from Warwick Labour Club, Warwick Conservatives Association, Warwick Greens and Warwick Liberal Democrats is set to take place on 22 February 2017. Chaired by Nicole Chan, the debate will cover a number of topics from the NHS to education policy and Brexit, with its organisers stating: “This is a brilliant opportunity to see student politics in action, and to engage with politics on campus whilst seeing how events like this relate to wider political happenings.”

‘De-Stress’ Dogs return to Warwick campus to raise money for Guide Dogs UK
Warwick RAG are hosting their second ‘Doggy De-Stress Day’ of the academic year on 20 February 2017. The event, held in partnership with Guide Dogs UK, offers a chance for students to escape from the stresses of everyday university life for a few hours, whilst also offering respite for those missing their dogs at home. The event will cost £2 to attend, with all money raised going to Guide Dogs UK.