Image: University of Warwick Fencing Club

Boar Sport Power Rankings: December-January

And we’re back with the first edition of Power Rankings in 2017! It’s been a stellar few months for #TeamWarwick, with a pesky Christmas break in-between. Has your team made it to the top of the pile? Let’s find out…

Boar Sport Power Rankings 

Results run from: 30 November – 1 February 

10. Women’s Table Tennis 2s W2 D1 L1

12-0 whitewashes over Birmingham and Lincoln more than make up for their defeat to the former last week.

9. Women’s Table Tennis 1s W2 D1 L0

A tight defeat to Nottingham Trent last week doesn’t deny the Table Tennis girls a place on our list.

8. Men’s Hockey 1s W2 D1 L0

Back with a bang after the Christmas break, the 1s thrashed Leicester 7-1 away from home.

7. Women’s Water Polo 1s W2 D0 L0

The women’s water polo 1s showed they could match the men. Four days, two wins.

6. Men’s Water Polo 1s W2 D0 L0

Warwick continue to rule in the pool, thanks to two wins in four December days.3

5. Men’s Volleyball 1s W3 D0 L0

They topped our last Power Rankings but three wins from three isn’t enough to stay there.

4. Women’s Basketball 1s W3 D0 L0

Bedfordshire couldn’t field a team against them last week – nobody wants to come to fortress Warwick.

3. Men’s Badminton 2s W3 D0 L0

The Badminton boys haven’t been beaten since mid-November – since then they have recorded four straight victories.

2. Women’s Volleyball 1s W3 D0 L0

They started 2017 how they mean to go on: by thrashing Coventry.

And the winner of the first Power Rankings of 2017 is…

1. Men’s Fencing 1s W4 D0 L0

If four consecutive victories and being top of the league doesn’t make you the team to watch, then nothing will. Since the end of November, the Men’s Fencing 1s have achieved exactly that. They have gone seven matches since their last defeat, and the majority of those wins have been convincing to say the least. On 30 November, away to Loughborough, they enjoyed a relatively close victory, 124-111. The following week the team defeated Nottingham 135-108 to close out first term on a winning note.

After the customary break from #BUCSWednesday at the start of January, they opened 2017 with a convincing 135-101 win against the prestigious Cambridge University. This might have something to do with the amazing success the team had at the Cambridge Winter Tournament, potentially making their match against Cambridge more comfortable. To continue their fairy-tale run, our team won away at Birmingham and one wonders where they will stop. Along with the whole of Warwick, we congratulate the Men’s Fencing 1st Team, and hope they can add to #TeamWarwick’s inevitable success at Varsity 2017.