Image: Warwick Sport

Varsity Rewind: Men’s Rugby Union

Drama is always guaranteed when the Rugby boys thunder into town

While we champion the unpredictability of sport, there’s always a sense that one result is more likely than another. Yet sometimes a fixture makes us eat our words and even the world’s most brilliant statistician would struggle to predict the outcome of the Men’s Rugby Union at Varsity, which has thrown up some classic matches. We look at the last three editions of this matchup – let’s hope for a similarly exhilarating match (culminating in a Warwick win, come on guys) this year.

2014: Last minute heartbreak for Warwick

Fans from both universities flocked to the field in anticipation for this fixture. The magnitude of the occasion probably got to the players and the beginning was scrappy to say the least: it took 20 minutes for Warwick to find their rhythm, culminating in a try from Josh Downie.

adversity and controversy are never far away in such a huge match

But adversity and controversy are never far away in such a huge match. Scrum half Conor Michaels was sin binned for a questionable rucking infringement and Coventry were able to take full advantage of the extra man to level the scores by half time.

The second half followed a similar pattern, but with a few minutes remaining, Michaels gave Warwick a ‘safe’ 20-14 advantage. Little did we know that Coventry had something up their sleeve.

A last minute try brought the score to 20-19, but a conversion edged our rivals into the lead. That was it. The game ended with everyone from Warwick shell-shocked. The motivational fire was well and truly lit for 2015.

2015: Dominance and class shines through for Warwick

With word spreading that last year’s fixture was an epic, big crowds gathered for the match in 2015 – but there was always going to be something that gave way. Sporting drama is very rarely repeated and that was the case here.

Revenge was complete, but not in the manner expected

An early red card for the Coventry blind side flanker put a dampener on the occasion, but we cannot take away anything from the professionalism and discipline of our side. Though this dominance was not always translated into points, it was evident that Warwick was the better side and the first half ended 13-0. Despite an improved second half performance from Coventry Warwick still showed their class and even the 20-0 score line flattered the vanquished team. Revenge was complete, but not in the manner expected. Maybe next year.

2016: The perfect way to sign off Varsity

If you’ve been part of sport on campus this year and not heard about the Varsity 2016 finale, where have you been? The legacy of this game lives on, with match-winner Ed Wilkinson captain of the side this time around.

The match had the added significance of being held at the Ricoh, so no pressure boys. Yet it didn’t start in the greatest of fashion for our side. 10-5 down at half time and, in all honesty, we were lucky it was still that close.

Thank you Ed, for a perfect illustration of why sport is so captivating.

The second half was a completely different story, with Warwick looking energised. We hit back successfully, George Teeboon putting us 17-15 ahead. Just like two years ago, Coventry were not finished and their inside centre looked to have ended our hopes by a whisker again. But little did Coventry know that revenge is best served at the death. No interventions or dives could get in the way of Wilkinson as he delivered victory in the most dramatic way possible. Thank you Ed, for a perfect illustration of why sport is so captivating.