Movietrailers Clip/ Youtube

Through the Crystal Ball: Predictions for film in 2017

2016 has been a rather turbulent year on the global politics front. A downward acceleration through controversial foreign policies, presidential candidates and celebrity deaths that left us all questioning when this doomed rollercoaster would start its upward journey. And whilst films like Hacksaw Ridge and Lion were there in our darkest moments, there was still a fresh supply of trashy blockbusters (Suicide Squad comes to mind) to drag us straight back underwater. But at last, the year of despair is over. Time for film to make us cry and cringe once again. So with awards season ahead of us, let’s see what we can predict for the world of film in 2017.

The Oscars won’t be funny:

If previous monologues are anything to go by, I think it’s safe to say that this year’s Oscars won’t have us in stiches any time soon. With unnecessary musical numbers and jokes about black history month, I’m always stunned when the Academy finds a new ‘comedian’ to outdo the previous fiasco.   So get ready for a masterclass in making live TV radiate awkwardness. But perhaps that’s the charm. It’ll be cheesy, American and you won’t want it any other way. And let’s not forget the main spectacle. With Casey Affleck and Natalie Portman raking up most of the awards so far for Manchester by the Sea and Jackie respectively, it’s set to be one hell of a show.

There will be lots of blockbusters: 

Looks like the next coming months are shaping up to be a sweaty box office marathon. With reboots coming out of our ears we’ve got the new Spiderman and Baywatch staring Zack Efron and Dwayne Johnson to look forward to. On top of that it’s the sequel we’ve all been waiting for (sarcasm intended) Fifty Shades Darker, the ‘seductive’ follow up to Fifty Shades of Grey. If this doesn’t get you jumping for joy, I don’t know what will.

Harry Styles will surprise us: 

Now this might happen for one of two reasons. His film debut in Dunkirk will be so atrocious that we wonder how it could have been even more horrific than his man bun. Or his acting skills will be so spectacular that we label him Hollywood’s new ‘it’ man.  So whilst something tells me it won’t be the latter, maybe we should at least try our hand at optimism. Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy will be gracing us with their presence and their certainly worthy of our time. And with plenty of CGI explosions to distract us from the fake tears, I’m sure nothing will drag him down. Hopefully.

Female directors will still be invisible: 

On a more serious note, it seems things aren’t set to get any better for women in film this year. Out of the five directors nominated for golden globes in 2017 only, oh wait none were women. And it’s not surprising seeing as this is a recurring trend throughout award season. There has only been one female best director Oscar winner throughout the history of cinema, Kathryn Bigelow for The Hurt Locker in 2009.The problem is studio heads are reluctant to take on female directors because they prefer to hire people they’ve worked with before. Unsurprisingly, most of them are men. Clearly, we’ve got to break this vicious circle if there’s to be even a chance of more women making it to the big time.