Image: Daniel Ruben

Elsewhere at Warwick – 21/1/17

Work Zone opens in SU Headquarters
This month, Warwick Students’ Union (SU) developed a new area for staff and students to work in. The Central Meeting Area in SU Headquarters, which was previously used to hold meetings or workshops, has now been transformed into a SU Work Zone available to anyone looking for somewhere quiet to study.

#teamwarwick relaunches ahead of Varsity
Warwick Sport is relaunching the #teamwarwick campaign which celebrates the 66 sports clubs and teams on Campus. Lisa Dodd-Mayne, Director of Sport and Active Communities, commented: “It’s our way of saying thank you for what you do, because when you represent Warwick in competitive sport, you’re representing us.” Students are encouraged to tweet their support using #teamwarwick.

Workshop discusses future of energy and sustainability
Climate Reality Campus Corps ran a workshop on Wednesday 18 January in the Oculus about the Energy and Sustainability Sector. The event talked about the challenges currently facing the sector and discussed what the Paris Agreement, Brexit and Donald Trump will mean for its future. It went on to explore the sustainability and green technology sector and the speakers also gave some general information about working in the industry.

Warwick raises £5,956 for Movember
This month it was revealed that Warwick raised a total of £5,956 during Movember last year. Warwick Rowing raised the most amount of money (£1,550) followed by the University of Warwick Men’s Cricket Club (£1,210) and Warwick University Rugby League (£948). 18 teams and 147 individuals from the University took part. All the money went to the Movember Foundation which supports men’s mental health.

Creative Warwick launched
Marissa Beatty, Warwick SU’s Societies Officer, launched Creative Warwick on 16 January for Week 2 and the scheme will continue in Weeks 3, 6 and 9. In Week 2, students were encouraged to send in their definition of creativity through a video or statement on social media using the hashtag #CreativeWarwick. A videobooth was also placed in the Arts Centre and students recorded answers to questions such as “What is creativity to you?”