Gage Skidmore / Wikimedia Commons

Malcolm in the Middle to Breaking Bad: Bryan Cranston’s ‘A Life in Parts’

He’s monopolised a meth empire. He’s been a hilariously loveable sitcom father. He’s even portrayed the 36th president of the United States. Bryan Cranston was a late bloomer when it came to earning his celebrity status but he is now one of the most respected actors in the industry. A Life in Parts is a fantastically written autobiography that reveals his journey on and off screen from the struggles of childhood to the glory days of Breaking Bad.

Prior to his ambitions of becoming an actor, Cranston talks of how he tackled multiple jobs to earn his way in 1970s America. These ranged from decapitating chickens on his grandad’s farm and delivering newspapers while a one-armed man drove the van to becoming a part-time minister, once marrying a couple on a plane mid-flight.

Bryan Cranston was a late bloomer when it came to earning his celebrity status but he is now one of the most respected actors in the industry.

As he delved into his teenage years, Cranston humorously recollects how he lost his virginity in an Austrian brothel, as well as how he was once obsessively stalked by a girlfriend who threatened to kill him.

His close relationship with his brother was also well documented, as he reminisced about their motorbike journeys across America. One particular experience even lead to them both becoming murder suspects, as they coincidentally left their jobs at a restaurant a week before their widely hated boss was murdered. After pursuing a potential career as a police officer, he realised that he wanted to become an actor.

Cranston graced us with 151 episodes of hilarious antics in this hugely successful comedy as he pranced around in his trademark tighty-whities

Cranston’s first, really memorable role on our screens was the perfectly executed, childish dad in the American sitcom Malcolm in the Middle. Cranston graced us with 151 episodes of hilarious antics in this hugely successful comedy as he pranced around in his trademark tighty-whities.

He shares his experience of covering his body with bees for one of the episodes, resulting in a sting in an area that will leave male readers wincing. His illustrative writing skills comically describe his joyful experience on Malcolm in the Middle in a way that is just as entertaining as the show itself.

Cranston reflects on  the craziness of seeing people getting tattoos of his face on their body.

Proving he can confront more serious roles, Cranston auditioned for the career-changing role of Walter White in the mega hit series Breaking Bad. Fighting off competition from actors such as Matthew Broderick, Cranston’s depiction of Walter White (a risk-taking, family-orientated, meth chemist) would soon be recognised as one of the most memorable characters in TV history.

Cranston reflects on the worldwide popularity of the series, revealing the craziness of seeing people getting tattoos of his face on their body. Breaking Bad is undoubtedly his most notable role, and with this Cranston invites us into his struggles of adapting to fame and being such a recognisable figure.

This book has everything: side-splitting anecdotes, emotional memoirs, valuable life skills!

Following the days of being a millionaire drug-lord, Cranston speaks of receiving countless job offers, with him accepting roles such as President Lyndon B. Johnson in All The Way and Dolton Trumbo in Trumbo. He has won Emmy Awards, Tony Awards, Golden Globe Awards… Now he adds the attribute of a gifted writer to his list of talents.

This book has everything: side-splitting anecdotes, emotional memoirs, valuable life skills! Cranston has created a piece of literature that is as miscellaneous as the characters he plays. A Life in Parts is a brilliant read.