Flickr / futureatlas.com

Senior academic warns what Brexit could mean for UK universities

Brexit could mean a rise in tuition fees and the closing down of UK universities, warns one of the most senior academic in the UK.

Professor Hugh Brady, Vice-Chancellor of Bristol University, has raised his concerns regarding Brexit and the consequences for British universities in a recent Sky News interview.

He has urged the Government to reassure EU students and academic staff regarding what will happen post-Brexit.
Mr Brady commented: “We need these academic leaders from Europe. They are part of the great strength of our institutions, so just give them the reassurances they need.”

He added: “The UK [Higher Education] system is up there with the very best in the world at the moment. Why would we possibly want to jeopardise that system which is so important for our economic future?”

Professor Brady’s concerns come after recent UCAS figures showed a 9% decrease in early applications from the EU for the 2017/18 academic year.

Currently the Government states that foreign students will have their fee levels and immigration status guaranteed if they start their course in the UK on or before the 2017/18 academic year.

We need these academic leaders from Europe. They are part of the great strength of our institutions, so just give them the reassurances they need.

Professor Hugh Brady, Vice-Chancellor of Bristol University

However, nothing has been confirmed about courses which commence in the 2018/19 academic year or beyond.

Professor Brady also warned about a decrease in funding: “If we want to continue to compete at that very top level we have to maintain funding, and if international student funding drops that hole has got to be filled by either Government funding or increased tuition fees.”

Furthermore, Professor Brady argued that international students ought to be removed from immigration statistics.

A Government spokesperson responded in the Sky News article: “As we exit the EU we will strive to ensure we built on out achievement and remain a leading destination for the brightest and best minds at all stages of their careers.”

The spokesperson said the Government has provided reassurances for those EU students applying for student funding for the 2017/18 academic year.

They also added that any research projects currently funded by the EU will continue to be funded by the UK Government after Brexit.

UK universities are ridiculously expensive compared to other EU countries and they clearly rely on the international students that come to them.

Pablo Reneses, second-year PPE student

A statement was released by the University of Warwick shortly after the referendum that there would be no increase in tuition fees for EU students who commence their studies in autumn 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Earlier this year, Peter Dunn, Director of Press and Policy, told the Boar: “We expect to continue to be an attractive choice for overseas students, including all those form EU countries, post Brexit.”

Pablo Reneses, a second-year Philosophy, Politics and Economics student from Spain, said: “UK universities are ridiculously expensive compared to other EU countries and they clearly rely on the international students that come to them.

“If the tuition fees rise more people will start thinking twice whether is it worth it.”

Jure Tuš, a second-year Law student who is currently on the Erasmus programme, commented: “The British Higher Education system is the best in Europe and it can only retain this prestige through cooperation with the Continent.”