Image: Max Connelly-Webster

What do Leamington’s homeless think of the council?

From the “shit” social services to the “squeezing” government, there is one thing that the majority of the Leamington Winter shelter’s clients agree on; the council. No matter how diverse the individuals and complex their stories, most have been involved with Warwick District Council in some way or another, and many were keen to discuss their experiences when we stopped by the shelter last week.

The shelter itself is a tiny building that, despite its huge importance, is inconspicuously tucked away down a small side street off a canal in the southern half of town. One guest in particular stood out; affectionately described by one of the volunteers as “a short shouty blonde man”, he didn’t want to give his name but was incredibly passionate about the council and the way that they dealt with the homeless.

Homeless people, instead of being treated as vulnerable citizens, are often disproportionately penalised…

“The government don’t really care, they just take advantage. They help a few homeless people to make their statistics look better but that’s it.” He claims that homeless people, instead of being treated as vulnerable citizens, are often disproportionately penalised, saying that one missed appointment can result in being withheld medication which in turn leads to alcohol and drug relapses. Where many non-homeless citizens might get off with a fine for small drug possession, the guest told us that many homeless people often face sentences straight away.

Despite the jovial Christmas environment in the shelter, when the guests were asked their opinions on the council it became clear how divisive the topic could be. Many in the shelter believed that the council workers lacked personal experience in dealing with the homeless and an ability to empathise which results in them often “giving up too easily”. Lemmy, an older man who lives on his self-built house-boat and considers himself a “continental cruiser” echoed this, saying that “the government squeezes people like us and we can’t ever get that first step on the ladder.”

Many in the shelter believed that the council workers lacked personal experience in dealing with the homeless and an ability to empathise

Some in the shelter, however, didn’t agree with the general sentiment that evening and had a more positive opinion. Colin, a client who was amongst the minority in having a job and a home, believe that the council generally mean well. He says that they can in fact be very helpful “as long as you’re willing to play ball with the people that help you.” Susan, the co-founder of the shelter, says that although she doesn’t have “significant insight into the workings of the council”, they have been “very supportive in terms of providing funding and publicising the shelter.”

She offers that the problem may arise due to “lack of rapport between the council and the homeless community”, and that this is incredibly important to ensure that “they do feel able to access help and not feel its futile”.

[the council] have been “very supportive in terms of providing funding and publicising the shelter.”

With a 132% increase in homelessness in Warwickshire alone, only one thing is clear: the incredible importance of organisations such as the Leamington Night Shelter. The work that Susan and the other volunteers do is just one of the steps in making the guests “really feel human again”.

If you’d like to get involved with the shelter, or just find out more about the amazing work that they do, visit their website or contact them on Facebook.

Warwick District Council have been contacted for comment.