Image: Wikimedia Commons

Joshua retains belt with ease to set up Klitschko bout

The perception that Anthony Joshua has only fought bums was perhaps altered slightly on Saturday night, but not by Eric Molina. That is not to fault the character of Molina – stepping into the ring with Deontay Wilder and now Joshua deserves credit in itself – but his third round knockout looked inevitable as soon as the pair walked out, and Joshua’s record of 18-0, all by stoppage, and the retention of his IBF heavyweight title, was secured without fuss.

The far more compelling fight came from the (very strong) undercard. Whyte-Chisora went the distance, despite the two – especially Chisora – throwing some big punches. Whyte was sharper, fitter – but Chisora was doing more damage, leading to a dogged heavyweight clash that was far more entertaining than the norm. The build-up had been ludicrous, but the fight itself was pure boxing – with the possible exception of Chisora’s ‘playful’ thrusting.

Wladimir Klitschko stepped into the ring with the affable demeanour of an old-timer on the comedy circuit, to announce a clash with Joshua at Wembley

A split-decision in favour of Whyte was the dramatic outcome, but both fighters could claim a result, and a great deal of newfound respect, legitimately. With the benefit of hindsight, Whyte certainly remains Joshua’s biggest test to date – though that is set to change on April 29th.

After withdrawing from an earlier contest due to a calf injury, Wladimir Klitschko stepped into the ring with the affable demeanour of an old-timer on the comedy circuit, to announce a clash with Joshua at Wembley, to the Manchester crowd. Though not the perfect fight Eddie Hearn is already starting to bill it as (Klitschko will be 41, having not fought in 17 months – in a fight he lost), it will certainly be an exciting step up for Joshua, and a chance to stamp his dominance on the heavyweight division – claiming Fury’s vacated WBA belt in the process.

Elsewhere, there were wins for big-name fighters such as Scott Quigg, Callum Smith and Katie Taylor, particularly impressive on her second professional outing. If the headline fight was a one-sided anti-climax, Whyte, Chisora and co. certainly provided some value for money.