image: Wikimedia Commons

End of Term Watchlist

As we are approaching the end of Term 1, the workload is piling up and essay deadlines are looming. To ease some of the coursework stress, we’ve compiled an end-of-term watchlist to help you get through the harsh struggles of academic life.

1.The Blues Brothers

If you are feeling down, then The Blues Brothers is guaranteed to cheer you up. Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi put on a hilarious performance as the Blues Brothers, who are on a mission from God and have to get the band back together in order to save a Catholic home. What follows is an anarchic series of events, ranging from car chases to fun musical numbers. The Blues Brothers is a film where you can just sit back and enjoy the madness of the on-screen shenanigans.

stardust

Image: Poster of Stardust/ Youtube

2.Stardust

Who doesn’t long for an escape from reality? Stardust has all the makings of an epic adventure. With everything from witches, knights, pirates and ghosts, the world of Starlight is one in which you can truly get lost. This fairy-tale is a bit dark at times – there are a few genuinely scary moments. However, the connections which you develop with the characters help create a truly spell-binding film.

3.Submarine

If romance is more your cup of tea, then I would recommend Submarine, from director Richard Ayoade. This indie darling focuses on Oliver Tate as an awkward- yet-lovable student dealing with the struggles of a relationship and the impending split of his parents. A heart-warming tale blending drama, romance and comedy, Submarine will make you laugh, cry and forget about the coursework due next week.

4.Megamind

wonderful-life

Image: Still from It’s a Wonderful Life/ twm1340/ Flickr

Perhaps what you need is a light animated film to make you feel like a kid again. Megamind is one of the funniest animated films I’ve ever seen starring Will Ferrel as the e
vil Megamind who has taken over the city. Although superhero movies are overdone today this adds a unique tale from the villain’s perspective better than any other. Forget Despicable Me or Monster Vs Aliens this film is far superior and if you don’t believe me feel free to take a break and find out.

5.It’s a Wonderful Life

Finally, no end of term watch list is complete without a Christmas film to get you in the holiday spirit. You can’t go wrong with It’s a Wonderful Life. With such a classic film, it is difficult to think
of any praise that has not been said before. It’s a Wonderful Life is the ideal film to lift your spirits from the dark pit of essay-writing mode. If you haven’t watched it, you’re truly missing out. Take some time off course-related mayhem to watch it.