Image: WUDS

WUDS’ As You Like It “brims with energy, passion and power”

This dystopic depiction of WUDS’ As You Like It promises to deliver a unique rendition of one of Shakespeare’s best-loved comedies in a production that brims with energy, passion and power. As Assistant Producer, I have had the benefit of watching the show from conception to near-completion, a position which leaves me in awe of how far the play has come.

As You Like It is a comedy that is still intensely relevant in the modern world, despite the centuries that have passed since Shakespeare wrote it, as it explores a country in political turmoil reminiscent of the current constitutional crisis. In both the cruel Court and the idyllic Arden, the play explores blossoming romances between characters, mistaken identity and gender reversal, all combining to form a rich, entertaining tale full of mirth, albeit with melancholy undertones.

Ronan Hatfull’s original musical score contains an electronic thread throughout, with drum and base influences to psychedelic and acoustic elements.

The conceit of the play is that it is set just after an unnamed, almost apocalyptic event that has left society and nature in ruin. The Court is in post-anarchic chaos, and even Arden, full of libertarian ideals, is set among the decimated landscape. This provides the theatre company with an intriguing and original setting which has allowed the opportunity for extraordinary visual and auditory dimensions to be added to the performance. Ronan Hatfull has written an original musical score for the performance; the music contains an electronic thread throughout, but with a heavier drum and bass influence in the disordered Court to contrast the more psychedelic and acoustic elements used in Arden. The music is accompanied by Elizabeth Stowell’s choreography, which is slick and mesmerising to watch, and there are also fight scenes choreographed by Tommy Oliver Plummer Harvey, the startlingly realistic nature of which are highly impressive.

Seeing Shakespeare performed well can be an amazing experience that has the potential to completely subvert the view that Shakespeare isn’t for you.

The acting of the cast is also exceptional, and their dedication and enthusiasm truly pays off. The direction of the infamous Fred Kelly unites the sizeable cast into a team who bring Shakespeare’s words to life, and create a comedy that is genuinely hilarious. Even when the same scenes were performed multiple times in rehearsals, they never failed to raise a laugh and pull us into the comedic genius of the production.

I encourage everyone to come and see the play, even those who believe they do not like or enjoy Shakespeare, as seeing it performed well (as it undoubtedly will be in this version of As You Like It) can be an amazing experience that has the potential to completely subvert that view.

As You Like It will be performed at Warwick Arts Centre from 22 – 25 November, and tickets are available from http://www.warwickartscentre.co.uk/whats-on/2016/wuds-as-you-like-it/. To keep up-to-date with all the latest news, like their page on Facebook at WUDS presents: As You Like It.