Image: Warwick SU / Facebook

Warwick SU hold first “What’s Next?” event

Warwick Students’ Union (SU) saw the arrival of a new event about post-University life at Warwick, with “What’s Next?” launching on Tuesday 15 November.

The event was organised by Welfare and Campaigns Officer Chloe Wynne, as a response to common concerns expressed by Warwick students about their future career paths.

These included worries that “everyone else is ahead of them”, and anxiety about failing to get internships, or onto competitive graduate plans.

“What’s Next?” was organised to help “alleviate the pressure” that many students encounter whilst having to juggle contemplating their future career and studying simultaneously. It is designed to show students that there is no “set way of ‘doing’ university or getting a career”, by showcasing alternative post-graduate options.

There were stands promoting alternatives to traditional career paths – such as Law, Business and Finance – that included postgraduate study, volunteering, and third sector opportunities.

The event lasted most of the afternoon, providing a free buffet lunch, and featured several stands from Warwick University itself, such as a Postgraduate Admissions Stand, and student Careers and Skills area.

I think it was a really important event that highlights there’s no rush to get into a career, and pursuing non-traditional careers is legitimate. You shouldn’t a) compromise your wellbeing or b) compromise your interests, to get into a particular career.

Luke Pilot, Warwick SU President

Students were invited to register to attend the event online, but also could just turn up and look around on the day.

Luke Pilot, Warwick SU President, was at the event promoting to students that a Sabbatical Officer position is one alternative to a traditional career path.

He commented: “I think it was a really important event that highlights there’s no rush to get into a career, and pursuing non-traditional careers is legitimate.

“You shouldn’t a) compromise your wellbeing or b) compromise your interests, to get into a particular career.”

The success of this initial event has led to schemes for the same event to take place again in April next year.

It is hoped that a wider range of external companies offering alternative career options will attend in Term 2, leading to an even bigger and more successful event.