Image: Flickr/ Fan D

Warwick student victim of attempted mugging in Canley

A Warwick student has suffered minor injuries in a struggle against an attempted mugging, which took place in Prior Deram Park, Canley on Friday 4 November.

The student was exercising alone in the park when approached by a group of teenagers on bikes. They engaged in conversation and then attempted to pickpocket the student which led to a physical struggle between the parties.

The victim was a Politics and International Studies (PAIS) student. As a result of the incident an email was sent out today on behalf of Professor Nick Vaughan-Williams, Head of the PAIS Department, which stated:

“The student has been supported by the personal tutor team in PAIS and the University’s Student Support Services. As many of our staff and students either live in or travel through the Canley area, I would urge everyone to be vigilant and where possible avoid walking alone after dark”

“I would urge everyone to be vigilant and where possible avoid walking alone after dark.”

Professor Nick Vaughan-Williams, Head of PAIS Department

The incident does not appear out of character for the Canley area.

Abu Sohail, a third-year Chemistry student living in Canley, explained that it can often feel unsafe when compared to Leamington – where he lived last year – particularly when walking back from Tesco and the gym late at night.

He said there are often “hooded groups” around Tesco car park and recalls one incident: “Me and my housemate were coming back from late night shopping when we saw a large group in the car park standing by their cars looking at us. We got the vibe it was a stare down to intimidate us.”

When asked if he was surprised about this latest incident Abu replied: “Honestly not really, [the park] looked like a really run down area when I dropped someone off there once.”

It appears the area may have got worse recently. Ka-Yan Ly, a third-year Chemistry student who lived in Canley last year, said he never felt unsafe. He used to walk there late at night and stated: “it felt safe since there are loads of students living in Canley.”

“I’d think twice now about going there alone.”

Erin Page, third-year PAIS student

Erin Page, a third-year PAIS student, commented after receiving the email:

“I was quite shocked to hear about the incident and whilst I was comforted to see that my department had taken action, I was still concerned about some of my friends living in Canley.

“It’s a shame the area around campus might not be as safe as I’d assumed and I think I’d think twice now about going there alone.”

Chloe Wynne, Warwick Students’ Union (SU) Welfare and Campaigns Officer, explained that campus security is aware of these incidents and that the SU are working with them at the moment due to a recent spike in these crimes.

She advised: “Travel in groups where possible, and make sure you have the campus security or local police number saved as an easy-to-reach contact should you need it.”