Image: David Merrett/ Flickr

Warwick alumnus writes poetry anthology in aid of Alzheimer’s Society

Warwick alumnus John Mason has written a poetry anthology, Signposts, in aid of the Alzheimer’s Society – a cause which he has been heavily involved with for several years.

Mason, 76, is an ex-policeman and Woodland City Councillor whose passion for poetry arose in his early 20s, while he was a student at Warwick.

A Coventry resident all his life, since retiring from the police, Mr Mason has undertaken various volunteering projects with the Visually Impaired and the elderly, in social care, the NHS and mental health services.

Mason told the Coventry Observer: “As I have got older I have felt the need to explore the world, my experiences and my imagination through poetry.

“The mental exercise and being able to live in your own mind is what I enjoy about writing.”

He has long championed the role of older people in the community, leading to his support of the Alzheimer’s Society.

His involvement with the charity has included sponsored walks across North America and he shall be further supporting the charity at the Dementia Friendly Carol Concert in Coventry’s Holy Trinity Church on Monday 8 December.

As I have got older I have felt the need to explore the world, my experiences and my imagination through poetry. The mental exercise and being able to live in your own mind is what I enjoy about writing.

John Mason, poet and Warwick alumnus

Carolyn McDonald, community fundraiser for Alzheimer’s Society, said: “It’s wonderful to see John’s poems in print and to see him tackle the topic of dementia in such a creative way.

“We’re really grateful to him for donating all the profits of his new book to Alzheimer’s Society.

“All monies raised will support people with dementia through valuable services along with important research into the condition.”

Alzheimer’s Society is the UK’s leading dementia support and research charity, providing information as well as practical and emotional support to those suffering from dementia.

It also invests in cutting-edge research into cures for the disease, and campaigns for better awareness of symptoms and the devastating effects of the disease.

Published by Cannon Poets Publishing, Signposts is available at www.cannonpoets.org.uk for £7. All profits from the book will go to the Alzheimer’s Society.