Image: Warwick Media Library

Warwick fails to rank in top 150 of Global University Employability Ranking

Warwick University has failed to feature in the top 150 of this year’s Global University Employability Ranking, released 16 November 2016.

This is despite the university’s claim that: “Among UK universities, Warwick is the second most targeted by graduate employers for graduate recruitment programmes.”

The ranking is designed by French human resources consulting agency, Emerging, and executed by German market research firm Trendence.

It rates universities across the world based on employability of graduates, using factors such as academic record, professional experience, and degree of subject specialisation.

These factors are also combined with votes from managing directors of international companies across 20 countries.

In 2014, Warwick ranked in 112th place, but it also did not feature in last year’s top 150.

The ranking is likely to be biased towards commercial employment, and will therefore feature many more science only or technical universities and less broad spectrum universities such as Warwick.

Warwick University

The University has commented that: “The ranking is likely to be biased towards commercial employment, and will therefore feature many more science only or technical universities and less broad spectrum universities such as Warwick.

“Warwick has large arts faculties and people who chose not to go into industry but go into highly regarded vocational and public sector roles in medicine, law, teaching, academia, further study or research, social work, the civil service etc.”

Other UK universities fared better this year, with British universities featuring the most often after those of the United States and France.

Cambridge and Oxford ranked as fourth and seventh, respectively, and Imperial College London, the University of Manchester, the University of Edinburgh, and the London School of Economics all ranked in the top fifty.

American universities have topped the ranking, with the California Institute of Technology, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Harvard University taking first, second, and third place respectively.