Image: Flickr / Edward T

Leamington’s street marshals to stay for another five years

Leamington Spa’s street marshals are set to stay for another five years.

The Street Marshals Scheme was started in 2013 in a partnership between the University, Warwick Student’s Union (SU), Warwick District Council, Warwickshire Police and SafetyNet Security Group.

Both pastoral care and protection, including first aid, is provided to students by street marshals after pubs and clubs close.

Students are also encouraged to respect the interests of other residents when returning home by behaving responsibly through residential areas.

A total of eight marshals operate on Monday to Thursday nights between 11pm and 4am in areas of Leamington which are used by students. They are paired as one man and one woman and are trained to intervene early in any situation faced.

Warwick District Council are proud to be associated with this unique scheme helping to make Leamington a safer and friendlier place for both students and residents.

Moira-Ann Grainger, Councillor

The scheme itself is an extension on the street marshals scheme operated in Leamington by the South Warwickshire Community Safety Partnership (SWCSP). It was implemented to keep order at taxi ranks but now covers the town centre.

Stuart Croft, Vice-Chancellor at the University of Warwick, said: “We are pleased to announce the further funding of the Street Marshals. The scheme has proven to be an effective method of both supporting our students living in Leamington, and helping to foster improved community relations with Leamington residents.”

Councillor Moira-Ann Grainger commented: “I am delighted that the University has confirmed funding for a further five years.

“Warwick District Council are proud to be associated with this unique scheme helping to make Leamington a safer and friendlier place for both students and residents.”

Wen Yi Teong, a second-year Law student, witnessed some marshals helping a student who had passed out in front of Tesco on a night out last week.

She commented: “I think the scheme is necessary. They seem like really nice people, they don’t intimidate me like the police might.”