Photo: Sarah Morland

Leamington Sleep Out raises over £7,800 for homeless

Over 120 people gathered outside the All Saints Church in central Leamington Spa on Friday night, in a public sleep out to raise funds and awareness to support local homeless rough sleepers. The event raised just over £7880.

Raised by the funds gathered from the tickets of the event, Helping Hands manager Lianne Kirkman said: “We’re trying to raise money tonight for a drop-in facility which we hope will be a space where people will come in the say time and we can help people get back to [intangible]”

Volunteers and supporters began arriving towards 8pm and spent the following 12 hours sleeping on the parish grounds, using cardboard and plastic sheeting on the wet ground as temperatures dropped to below 7°C with light showers.

The event featured talks from a diverse range of participants, from charity workers and local politicians to police and army representatives and a supported homeless volunteer.

Homeless volunteers and soldiers from the Kineton Marlborough Barracks were amongst those present to raise awareness about homelessness.

As of an annual capture from the night of November 1 of this year, there are an estimated 19 rough sleepers in the Warwick, Leamington and Kenilworth area, three to four of whom are believed to be ex-army personnel.

“Don’t ever judge anyone that you see. Because behind every homeless person sitting on a step with a cardboard cup, there’s a different story.

Susie Mehta, Helping Hands Trustee

However, this accounts for less than 5% of Warwick District’s estimated 600 or 700 homeless, including those currently squatting or living in inadequate buildings.

Former servicemen and women are also highly affected, through the logistical and often psychological difficulties of adjusting to life outside the supported military confines.

Green Party Councillor and leader of the Way Ahead Project Jonathan Chilvers spoke against a skewed vision of homelessness in society: “A real homeless person looks like me or you, someone you wouldn’t recognise walking down the street. Someone you probably walk past, yet they don’t know where they might be sleeping tonight.”

Leamington Mayor Ann Morrison who was also at the event explained: “A lot of people have said they’ve been attracted to Leamington because the students are very generous here, but maybe it’s not only about the money. Maybe it is thinking about how can you help or befriend?”

When asked how students could help, she said: “Get involved, join some organizations, that’d be really great. Mainly, if you can’t do anything, just smile and talk with people.”

Helping Hands Trustee Susie Mehta added: “Don’t ever judge anyone that you see. Because behind every homeless person sitting on a step with a cardboard cup, there’s a different story.”

A real homeless person looks like me or you, someone you wouldn’t recognise walking down the street. Someone you probably walk past, yet they don’t know where they might be sleeping tonight.

Jonathan Chilvers, Green Party Councillor

The crowd also heard from youth worker and ROOF Project representative Gary Timlin, who emphasised the vulnerability of young homeless people: “Many people think children’s services will pick up young persons, but that’s just not the case.”

The loudest applause was for Shelley, one of the Leamington homeless who will benefit from the new drop-in centre.

She thanked all the participants, in particular the organisers from Helping Hands: “These are such amazing people. I don’t think I’d still be there if it weren’t for these people, their caring, the food and the support they offer; it is a real life saver.”

Currently, Leamington Spa has two night shelters, Leamington Winter Support (LWS) and Radford Road, providing four nights of shelter a week. The Salvation Army’s Way Ahead Project also provides food, showers and laundry services alongside advice and mental health support five mornings a week.