Fresh from a Fresher – Term One at Warwick

As your friendly neighbourhood Fresher, I’ve been given the job of summing up the first term in this concrete Midlands bubble we like to call Warwick University. Naturally Fresher’s week is all a bit of an alcoholic blur, as I’m sure it is at every university – except perhaps The University of Mecca. I’ll be brutally honest, Warwick has the nightlife of a retirement home after lights out. The Copper Rooms was inevitably the location for every shindig and jamboree from ‘Avalanche’ to ‘Playlist’.

There was the occasional trip to the Terrace Bar for a pint of the infamous Purple, which turned out to be weaker than a nun’s piss and twice as nasty. This came to an end with ‘Fresher’s Festival’. Seriously, the atmosphere in Democrat HQ on US election night would have been more upbeat than that sorry excuse of a ‘festival’– it was deader than a really dead thing in a graveyard full of other equally dead things on the Day of the Dead.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some positives. Circling is now my favourite thing to do on a Wednesday night, followed by an uber cheeky visit to POP!, but I think every Fresher quickly realised Coventry and Leamington were the places to go for a night out.

It was deader than a really dead thing in a graveyard full of other equally dead things on the Day of the Dead

Obviously it’s not all about pubs, clubs and bars, indeed what Warwick lacks in nightlife it makes up for in extra-curricular activities. Personal favourites include RaW and The Boar (rhyme not intended) and Ultimate Frisbee, which is truly a sport of Kings.

I probably should mention academic life, seeing as though it’s what I’m paying £9,000 a year for. Studying History means I know the Library like the back of my hand and the gym, honestly I don’t even know where that is. It also means I only have 11 contact hours a week –one 9am a week is literal bliss. Seminars are pretty sweet, but a nightmare if you haven’t done the reading.

Obviously it’s not all about pubs, clubs and bars, indeed what Warwick lacks in nightlife it makes up for in extra-curricular activities

All I need is 40% to pass? I’ll be lucky if get 4%. But we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.