Photo: Facebook / Giles Hutchings

Elsewhere at Warwick – 28/09/16

This week’s Elsewhere at Warwick includes a story about the Warwick University Challenge team, Warwick Arts Centre Christmas tree light up, a student housing day hosted by the Students’ Union (SU), an art and science collaboration and creator of the cat sculpture on campus giving a talk about her work.

Warwick University Team through to next round of University Challenge
The team from Warwick University won their second round performance on the television programme University Challenge on Monday 21 November, meaning they now go through to the next round. Warwick beat its opponents, the University of East London, by 140 points, with the final score being at 195 points for Warwick and 55 for East London. This performance has meant that they are now through to the quarter-finals, to which 8 out of 28 teams will get the chance to compete in.

Warwick Arts Centre Christmas tree light up
Students and staff from Warwick University were invited to come along to the Christmas Lights Switch On last Wednesday 22 November. The ceremony, which saw campus getting festive in the lead up to Christmas, occurred on Wednesday afternoon. It featured the light up of the Arts Centre Christmas tree, which was followed by performances from various societies to kick start the celebrations for the festive season at Warwick.

Student Housing Day hosted in SU
Warwick SU will be holding its annual housing day in the SU Atrium on Wednesday 30 November. Students are invited to come along and meet with members of the SU Advice Centre team, Warwick Accommodation and local organisations to discuss the options available to them for housing arrangements. The advisors, along with student ambassadors, provide support for students concerned about housing arrangements, and promote the importance of taking time to make the right decision about student accommodation.

Researcher at Warwick University arranges art and science exhibition
In coordination with Coventry’s effort to be named City of Culture 2017, a Sociology researcher at Warwick is collaborating with Fargo village to bring together 17 artists and academics for a proposed exhibition of local artwork. The exhibition, taking place on Saturday 26 November, aims to bridge the divide between art and science by displaying work that has been produced by a collaboration between artist and researcher. The event is free, with visitors having the chance to vote for their favourite art collaboration piece.

Creator of cat sculpture on campus gives talk
Sculptor Laura Ford, creator of the sculpture Days of Judgement, Cat 1 which was installed near the bus interchange on Warwick Campus late last year, gave a talk about her work on Wednesday 23 November. The sculpture is described as having an “idiosyncratic and slightly disturbing twist”. Laura’s talk, free to attend by students and staff of the University, gave insight into her career, and in particular shed some light on the cat sculpture that was widely discussed at the end of last term.