Image: Ali Jones

Dirty Duck ceiling collapse: Pub temporarily closed due to flooding

The Dirty Duck has been closed this afternoon due to extensive flood damage. It is now being reported that the damage has been swiftly fixed, however.

Photos illustrating the damage show a collapsed ceiling panel above the seating booths near the front of the pub.

Posting on Facebook, Warwick Students’ Union (SU) stated: “The Dirty Duck will be closed until further notice due to flood damage.”

Duck Staff working this afternoon were told to wait in staff areas for managers and not come up to work as usual in a post made at approximately 12:15pm on the Duck Staff Facebook group.

Commenting in the Dirty Duck Staff Facebook Group, Lindsey Kettle, who is the pub’s manager, suggested that it was likely to re-open this afternoon, and that university staff were already clearing up the damage.

Addressing concerns by the Duck’s staff that the building was unsafe, Lindsey Kettle stated that: “The top health and safety people [sic] from the uni are already on it. It looks like it is safe elsewhere so we just need to cordon off a section of the front bar”.

She also wrote: “[The university] won’t take chances on this as the university have had some other incidents recently so are being extra cautious.”

It is not known for sure what these “other incidents” are, but at least one event has included a ceiling collapse in Avon Studios in 2015.

No one appears to have been injured in the incident, and, according to SU staff, no-one is at risk. It is uncertain exactly when The Dirty Duck will re-open, but reports are now saying the damage is more or less cleared.

Below is the full photo of at least some of the damage.

Image: Ali Jones